Over Jetted?

Bob Riding

I use a paper filter.  Wix to be specific.  I change them when they need changing.  How do I know when it needs changing?  I pull it out and hold it up to a strong light, like the sun.  If the light shines thru easily it's ok.  If not I replace it. 

An air filter's job it to remove as much contaminates as possible while restricting air flow the least.  The more important of the two is removing contaminates.  Unless you are a racer that needs that extra tenth, or hundredth, to win a K&N makes no sense to me. 

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

I use a paper filter.  Wix to be specific.  I change them when they need changing.  How do I know when it needs changing?  I pull it out and hold it up to a strong light, like the sun.  If the light shines thru easily it's ok.  If not I replace it. 

Come on @sniper who are you kidding?  ???

My wix filter on my DD, is 5 years old and looks brand new. Just good ol Texas clean air.

0428221234.jpg

Edited by Los_Control
  • Haha 1

I just edited the last post, not realized the photo did not show ....  so a edit. Lets be honest, A 5 year old air filter should not look this clean.

You can see the dust around & on the air cleaner ... but a light behind it shows it as being perfect ... Is it just the Texas sand blows right through it?

Just now, Sniper said:

Well, if you don't drive it ...

You gotta hold it up to the sun and see how it shines thru it.

Seriously this is all I have to drive right now, while replacing the rod bearings on my wife caravan. I do drive it daily for the past year.

I did take a photo 1 hour ago with the drop light behind it and looked at it ... Does not show up well on a photo.

0428221232a.jpg.cc99cdf2836fea02569990145953ead4.jpg

In regards to the "K & N bandwagon" I am reminded that everything is relative.

For decades car makers didn't even bother to worry about ingesting dust. The primary worry was backfiring into the intake so they put screen like devices on the carburetor such as the accessory "Air Maze" for Model A Fords. Later on they decided that carburetors make a lot of noise and should be quieted down.

When you think about the millions of miles run without any air filtration on dirt roads you wonder how those old cars lasted as long as they did!

My feeling about K & N and other oiled gauze filters is they are better than nothing at all and nothing at all is what I have run for decades in places that are known for being dusty.

Some would say the air doesn't stay in the engine long enough to worry about dust. Not too sure about that! lol

I can telling you that a paper filter can plug up with dust so badly that a diesel engine can collapse it before losing power! I've seen paper filters run over by a truck not collapsed as thoroughly! So...without a filter of any kind you will never know how much dust the engine is taking in.

Just sayn'

So is ignorance bliss?

You decide.

For my money I want silence. If an air cleaner can give me silence and clean the intake air that's "A-Number One"in my book.