29 desoto

Hickory

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if my 29 has a water distribution tube in the 174.9 ci engine. I do not see anything on line and I don't want to pull the water pump to check. I don't have a gasket set due to availability right now

On 4/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, harmony said:

Marc, do you happen to know what year the American Automotive Industry decided to designate a particular year to a particular car made in that calendar year as opposed to the letter designation?

I'm not exactly sure.  Auto manufacterers continued to designate their cars by model number and names.  For example, the DeSoto S-11 was made for the years 1946 -1949.  I think refering to car as a '29 or a '48 was done more by the owners because most people don't know what the model numbers mean.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

On 6/14/2022 at 3:22 PM, Hickory said:

Does anyone know if my 29 has a water distribution tube in the 174.9 ci engine. I do not see anything on line and I don't want to pull the water pump to check. I don't have a gasket set due to availability right now

Ask Les Pesavento.  He is the 1929 DeSoto expert and he has owned many of them!  He is a high officer in the National DeSoto club.  

Just changed the oil filter but our available replacement is about 3" shorter. Is there any other options or do I have to remove the other bracket that holds it on and lengthen the lines

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you are progressing nicely on this car. A joy to follow along!

On 6/14/2022 at 3:22 PM, Hickory said:

I doubt it: That early DeSoto block was sort of the prototype that evolved into the later 6 cylinder engines introduced for Plymouth and Dodge in 1933. The Plymouth and Dodge 6 cylinder engines did not get the water distribution tube until 1935.

• Like 1

When I don't know what the pressure should be, or I am running non stock tires I tend to use the chalk method to figure it out.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Checking-Tire-Pressures-Aftermarket-Wheels#gid=ci026d995ba00127e0&pid=checking-tire-pressures-aftermarket-wheels-MTc0OTY0NTQ2ODYyMjYxNzAw

What is the brand of tire as the fronts appear new.

Some companies make white walls from black walls  by grinding and adding the white afterwards. Supposedly cheaper this way.

I believe all US mfg.ed tires and also tires sold here Must have this info in the side wall with the load range pound wise..at the recommended pressure.

Call the seller/manufacturer?

DJ

Not sure how well it works on tubed bias plys either.  But that's the only way I know how to sort it out.  The other method is to just drive it and see how the tire wears, middle wears out?  Too much air pressure.  Edges wear out?  Too little pressure.  But that tends to make your tires need replacing, lol.

All right, you don't tell us what exact tire and it's size you are running so this makes it tough.   Other than them being Firestones and wide whites which I see in the pics and you got them from Coker.  So I googled the size a 29 Desoto sedan should have.  Came up with 19x5.  Went to Coker's site and looked at 19x5 wide white Firestones.  On Coker's website it says "Max Load Capacity 895@32 psi".  Now assuming all the above assumptions are correct 32 psi should be the maximum.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/475-500-19-firestone-2-5-8-whitewall-tire.html

Now for a math lesson.  With a little bit of engineering.  The tire is rated for 895 pounds of load at 32 pounds per square inch.  If you divide the load by the pressure you will get the footprint of the tire, in square inches, on the pavement at 895 pounds of load.

So 895/32 equals 28 square inches, due to how algebra works you lose the pounds part after the calculation.

Now all you need to know is the corner weight of the vehicle, multiply that by 28 and you will get your tire pressure.  I'd use that as a starting point myself.

Or put in 32psi and roll, lol.