29 desoto

Hickory

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out this site.  Many assemblies and parts may cross over.  Also contact member Mark Duggan.  He has a 29 model 52 Chrysler coupe.  He just did a roof recovering, and had his distributor repaired using VW pieces.  

http://www.1948plymouth.info/1929/

Nice looking project.  Maybe could take a trip up to Fulton to have a look.  Sent you my email by PM.

Looks like a really good project to do. Seems a well preserved car to start with. Look forward to seeing your progress. I always enjoy learning about the story of these projects too. It has been looked after for a long time to stay in that condition up until now. Do you know much of it's history?

Hickory:

Are you a member of the National desoto Club?  This years annual convention and car show will be held in Altoona, PA June 15 -19th.  If you are not a member suggest that you join the club.  Also our past President Les Pesavento has several 1929 Desoto so he is a very good contact for the 1929 car.  I own a 39 desoto.

The desoto club web page is www.desoto.org  I live near valley forge PA  contact me.  I will send you a PM with more information.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I did some work on a rare 29 DeSoto panel a few years ago..it's still here in Washington.

A 29 DeSoto of any body type is a cool rare car.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Floor is wood, no I don't have much history on the car. I am a member of the DeSoto club and would have loved to go to the convention since it's not to far from NY but that is regents week and my children are taking test. And I'm not leaving my teens alone for a week.lol

So the car is registered as a 1930 for some reason but it's a true 29 as it was built Aug 14 1928. So it's an early production for the first year of DeSoto. Seams to be original engine and the odometer reads 10,000 miles. I want to do a title search to see if the milage is accurate or not.

Hickory:

Yes Les does have several of his 29 Desoto for sale. He is well and not sick.  Since you are in NY would also like to let you know that Les and I have two vendor spots at Hershey every year.  You are invited to stop by and meet with us and sit and talk about your early 28/29 Desoto. Like I stated i have some early dizzy caps if you might be interested.  The site location is in the Orange field  row OAD site 7&8.  Please stop by if you do come to Hershey.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

On 4/16/2022 at 12:38 PM, Hickory said:

I'm planning on going to Hershey. My distributer is an northeastern electric TBU

Hickory:  If you do get to Hershey  plese stop over and visit me and Les.  We do have two vendor spots in the Orange field row OAD site 7&8.  We will be displaying a large banner with the National Desoto Club.  We are also very close to the New AACA Headquarters buiding that is about a 5 minute walk from our site.  There will be information in the Adventures Magazine about Hershey.  So plese stop by and sit for a while to rest your feet and just get to know each other.  If you do come i would suggest that you also contact Les and he might have some 29 Desoto parts.  I also have some NOS distributor caps. These are hard to find but mine are for the Delco dizzy.  Also have a great manual on the early car parts especially for the Northeast components. Contact me so we can talk about the catalog.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Pat 8 14 28  is, I believe,  a patent date located on the radiator shell. My model Q Plymouth was built in 28, sold new Jan 2 29 and is registered as a 29.

It has the same number on its radiator shell passenger side

On 4/15/2022 at 11:48 PM, MarcDeSoto said:

Cars were not identified by year back then, but by model.  So your car would be a Model K.  The 1930 just means that was when it was first registered.  

Marc, do you happen to know what year the American Automotive Industry decided to designate a particular year to a particular car made in that calendar year as opposed to the letter designation?