L-shaped Seals Between Grill Panel PN(7-16-63) and Front Fenders PN(12-02-11)

As far as I can tell these L seals aren't being reproduced. I'm considering buying a 3' x 3' sheet of neoprene 1/16" thick, tracing the seals out, cutting them, and punching out the seven bolt holes. I'm curious about how others have handled this. The cost for the rubber (enough for both fenders) is about $20.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

• Jocko_51_B3B changed the title to L-shaped Seals Between Grill Panel PN(7-16-63) and Front Fenders PN(12-02-11)

I honelstly believe this seal is just flat with no "L" or "bump" on them.  If you blow the pic up you can see it's just flat in the book as well.  How the part is made lends to the credence it was just stamped out of flat stock.  I've never seen any evidence of that either on any parts I've pulled during tear downs.  I know some really like to see the seal proud of the seam, but that look is way off (to me) for the trucks,  Just as the rear fender seal (IMO) was flat, people like to put a seal there that has a proud section (loli-pop).

image.png.ca4b9dc30b8dc3ac699701841aed4643.png

When I dismantled my truck the seal was still there but it was no where near standing proud of the fender.  I'm sure the seal shrunk over the years but even so I don't think you could have seen it once the fender was bolted to the nose piece.

I plan on tracing the fender and then cutting the seal probably about 1/8" to 3/16" smaller.  

• Like 1

My 56 had what appeared to be a tar-like sealant there.   I think I'll go with a good seam sealer when reassembling, unless that is a bad idea.  Use a small bead and staying back as far as possible from the outer edge.  If any is visible, (not projecting, just visible in the space), it is intended to be painted anyway.  Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, kencombs said:

My 56 had what appeared to be a tar-like sealant there.   I think I'll go with a good seam sealer when reassembling, unless that is a bad idea.  Use a small bead and staying back as far as possible from the outer edge.  If any is visible, (not projecting, just visible in the space), it is intended to be painted anyway.  Any thoughts?

Is it possible the tar like sealant was actually melted rubber?  After 60 to 70 years I'm guessing that might be the case.  

41 minutes ago, bkahler said:

Is it possible the tar like sealant was actually melted rubber?  After 60 to 70 years I'm guessing that might be the case.  

It's possible that it's melted rubber, but my '54 had the same tar like stuff on the fenders.  No trace of a solid chunk of rubber anywhere. 

3 hours ago, CO54 said:

It's possible that it's melted rubber, but my '54 had the same tar like stuff on the fenders.  No trace of a solid chunk of rubber anywhere. 

Makes me wonder if maybe Dodge didn't changed what they used during the C model production.  I think I still have a piece of the original rubber in a box somewhere.

bkahler,

My parts book doesn't say anything about the seal thickness so I'll go with 3/32" thick neoprene as you suggest instead of the 1/16. 1/16 was just a guess on my part. A 3' x3' sheet should be perfect. Also, I don't think it would make sense for it to be proud either so I'll keep it just below the surface. Thanks to all for the replies.

Jocko

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

14 hours ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

bkahler,

My parts book doesn't say anything about the seal thickness so I'll go with 3/32" thick neoprene as you suggest instead of the 1/16. 1/16 was just a guess on my part. A 3' x3' sheet should be perfect. Also, I don't think it would make sense for it to be proud either so I'll keep it just below the surface. Thanks to all for the replies.

Jocko

I'll measure a remanant I have as a check for you.

I went back to the parts book looking for the thickness but couldn't find the information.   For the seal in question the parts manual lists the code as 12-02-11.  Under that code number there are two part numbers 1242-974 and 1192-032.  The first number is for Series 1 trucks and made from Butyl rubber.  The second number appears to be listed for all series and was available by the foot and is just listed as rubber.  

Steele Rubber reproduces the 1242-974 seal and it's definitely not the one that goes between the fender and the nose cowl.  I could not find any online info about the 1199-032 seal.  

1242-974.JPG.9d48e56baff0f113c14d4da52dd29232.JPG

I'm fairly sure I saw 3/32" listed somewhere but it might have been in conjunction with some other seal or component.  I've already bought the 3/32" so that's what I will likely end up using.

I did not see a thickness specification for this fender gasket in the parts manual, but I did measure the trucks in the yard and consistently came up with 1/16" gap visible between fenders and grille panel.  I measured the remnant of a gasket on a donor grille panel from a B-1 and it was also 1/16", but cannot say for certain if that was original.  From grille panels and fenders I have seen, the body parts appear to have been painted before assembly.

From the driver's seat, I don't think the truck will handle any differently with the 1/16" or the 3/32" material, though I reckon the thicker material would add a little weight to the nose.  The original gasket material may have compressed a bit during assembly, so the original material may have been 3/32".  I did notice on the donor grille panel that there was also remnants of the same material stuck to the radiator supports that sandwich between the fenders and the grille panel, though I do not know if that was original as it is not shown in the manual cooling section but makes sense that it would keep the squeaking down a bit.

Since the manual shows what looks like a profile gasket but also lists gasket material used as needed, I'm guessing that part number change was a cost reduction not reflected in the exploded view.  As long as that gasket material is not proud of the 1/16" gap, then no one can see the irregularities in the strip gasket as it follows the fender contour and is squeezed together during assembly...trim to fit :D

• Thanks 2