What goes on the left side of the block?

MarcDeSoto

I'm putting my 48 DeSoto engine back together and can't figure out what goes under the oil filter.  The second pic shows the oil filter bracket with a bolt hole behind it in the block and there is the first pic with the filter on showing both bolt holes in the side of the block.  The two bolt holes are at an angle.  No pic exists in the Parts Book showing what goes there.  Any idea?

left side.jpg

left side1.jpg

None of that is on my 55 model 230 that I have installed in my 46 Plymouth - no lugs there at all, even undrilled ones.  Shooting in the dark here - completely - but what is the path of the vacuum line going from the transmission up to the carb?  (I'm just guessing that there is a vacuum servo of sorts mounted down on the transmission.  I haven't seen one of these DeSotos for many years, and never inspected one in this area of the block, even then.  So I'm probably way out in left field - probably all the way outside the ball park.)

25 minutes ago, hansen said:

This is my 1941 De Soto with Fluid Drive,,,,,maybe it will help ,or not!IMG_7673.jpeg.910c5df1277cab2ee04052f0990a75e5.jpegIMG_7678.jpeg.eb8fa441ff4139f2cfd7a79ef237bf86.jpeg

That's interesting, none of that stuff is on my '48! Looks to be throttle linkage stuff for right hand drive, no? Also, your vac advance is on the opposite side of the distributor as mine. 

Those are the bolt locations for the mounting bracket of a different style oil filter than what you have.  There are three.  For the style oil filter you have, nothing goes under there.  I don't have a photo available, but I've seen them on the Forum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Those are the bolt locations for the mounting bracket of a different style oil filter than what you have.  There are three.  For the style oil filter you have, nothing goes under there.  I don't have a photo available, but I've seen them on the Forum.

Double confirmed. Marc, I have the same oil filter bracket as you. It's one of those threaded holes Mopar put there to mess with your head. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Eneto,  you are talking about the 41-42 DeSoto Vacumatic transmissions.  Mine is a hydraulic transmission.  Thanks, Ratbailey!  

I was actually thinking of the 53 DeSoto my folks had, starting when I was 4 or 5 years old.  It was retired just when I started driving training school, in the Summer of 71.  What made me think of that car is that Dad said that the reason it was shifting so slow was that the engine was loosing so much vacuum that it couldn't supply enough to get it to shift at the proper RPMs.  But maybe I just don't remember it right.  (That was the "semi-automatic".  My younger brother still has the car - out in his back pasture.  He's a member here, but hardly ever comes on, as his big thing is the mid fifties.  Just checked, he hasn't logged in for over 7 years.)

1941-42 DeSoto and Chrysler had the throttle linkage on the side of the block...not on the head.

Simpli-Matic M4 was the DeSoto trans...Vaca-Matic M4 was Chrysler.

10 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Hansen, throttle linkage on the side of the block?  Never saw that before.  The throttle linkage on my 48 DeSoto is on top of the head.  

It is on the top of the head on my -48 Dodge.

IMG_7390.jpeg

IMG_7385.jpeg

• Like 1