The Grand Tour

Sniper

Good day all

I am in Raleigh NC today.  Drove there this weekend.  1440 miles from my house to the hotel, work reasons. 

Some observations.  Louisiana needs to do something about their roads in Shreveport, horrible.

MS, AL, GA have nice roads, nice rest stops (Hello Texas pay attention) and really friendly people at the TC gas stations, clean bathrooms too.  I usually avoid  large gatherings like at Buc-ees, no thank you.

SC and NC have decent roads too, but damn do something about that 55 mph limit y'all have.  No one obeys it.

Made the trip in my company truck, 2019 Silverado 2500, 4x4 long bed.  Yep a tank.  Nary an issue and I probably just jinxed myself, lol.  Class is done on Wednesday, going to see my youngest daughter down in Fayetteville and head back Thursday, most likely.  21 hours of driving and one night of sleeping, at a rest top in Alabama, clean bathroom there as well.  Thankfully I have a big ol' truck to sleep in, I actually got 6 hours of sleep, lol.  At my age that's almost the same as sleeping like a teenager. 

• Like 3

I flew into Raleigh last week for work and drove Raleigh, Laurinburg, Hamlet, and Raleigh. Yes, nice roads and the 55 has to go. 

My sister lives in Lousy-ana and will agree with you 100% about the roads. I can't say much about the rest stops or gas stations because anything over 500 miles or a 10 hour drive from Chicago usually becomes an airline flight. I did 84 of those last year and my 15th flight for this year is this afternoon. Working outside in downtown Denver, where the scent of weed is strong, tomorrow and Wednesday.

Eight more weeks of that crap and I'm retired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 4:05 AM, Sniper said:

SC and NC have decent roads too, but damn do something about that 55 mph limit y'all have.  No one obeys it.

Oregon has a 55 mph speed limit on the interstates in the metro area. I like it, it gives a better reaction time for those that are on their cell phone LOL

I just came back from California towing, I don’t understand why the triple axels (trucks and towing) speed is 55 max! 

oh well

52 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Yes, first time I ever drove the long way across Texas (Texarkana to El Paso) the national speed limit was 55.  I swore to never do that again, lol.

I think I may have the record for TX speeding stops during the 55 days.  5 stops in one day, San Angelo to OK line on I35.   One ticket, others just a severe talking to!

Just couldn't keep that Supra at 55.  I'm from OK and we weren't enforcing the 55 very well.  No complaints from me but I found out that TX was for sure.  Probably because it was near Memorial day.

I rode across Texas from Louisiana to New Mexico in the back of a brand new ‘59 Plymouth wagon. I was about 4 years old. I haven’t been back.

Dad sold that wagon and bought the ‘63 Scout I still have. 

On 4/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, Sniper said:

Yes, first time I ever drove the long way across Texas (Texarkana to El Paso) the national speed limit was 55.  I swore to never do that again, lol.

I always got a kick out of the highway mileage sign on I-10 west in Orange, TX...El Paso 847 miles.  On the same road.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:25 PM, Sniper said:

Back in the late 1970s when I drove my '33 Plymouth across the country I started having heat related fuel issues and if I exceeded about 40 MPH eventually the car would stop and I had to cool down the fuel pump. It is a long, long, long way from East Texas to El Paso at 40 MPH. I also swore I’d never to that again.

Back when the National 55 began I was driving home from college late one night on the NYS Thruway- to protest The Man impinging on my rights I decided to double the “double nickel” - 110 mph induced serious valve float in the 318 of my ‘67 Coronet; backed off before I caught the attention of a Trooper in a Fury I.

Last night my wife and I did the Boston to Syracuse run to her folks again - NY and MA pretty much give you 75 mph without earning a light show.

25 minutes ago, greg g said:

Give me a shout next time you head to Syracuse, I will swing by in the coupe take you for a drive, have an adult beverage etc.  while the inlaws kabitz.

Will do - I can say for certain that I intend to be back for the Syracuse National in July.