Kicking off the 2022 driving season

TravisL17

After 5 months since the last drive of 2021, I got the Meadowbrook out today for the first outing of 2022. I changed oil, topped up the tires and fired it up. The Meadowbrook fired off quick and ran better than I remembered. I forgot how much of an improvement the new pistons and rings made.

We took it on a 35 mile round trip parts run. We got a few things for the Corvair we picked up over winter. It's a bit dusty, but it sure is nice to see it in the sunshine again!

2022 will be a big year for the Meadowbrook. 1,539 more miles and it will roll over to 100k. This year will be its 25th year being back on the road after sitting in storage for an unknown number of years. Looking forward to another season of driving memories.

20220409_162325.jpg

• Like 13

We went to the beach today, a 120 mile round trip. My Chrysler really impresses me on drives like this. These truly are some well engineered cars. 

That Dodge is handsome; I hope it gets to really eat up the miles this year. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got the old Dodge out a few nights ago to meet one of my truck drivers to exchange some paperwork. I told him I would be in The Syndicate's company car. (the name of my trucking company) The only thing would have made it better if I would have traded the cowboy hat for a fedora hat and maybe a silhouette of a machine gun outlined on the door for effect.980353191_TheSyndicateCar.jpg.65e9ca5a7722a72cdae9c9b7d4fb8f52.jpg

• Like 1

curious, did you just do pistons and rings, or a complete rebuild? i have heard that you can do that with the engine still in the car. my first car back in 1966 was a dodge meadowbrook that my grandfather bought new and was passed down in the family. yours is beautiful.   capt den

• Like 1

8 hours ago, capt den said:

curious, did you just do pistons and rings, or a complete rebuild? i have heard that you can do that with the engine still in the car.

I did pistons, rings, rod bearings and deglazed the cylinders, all done in chassis. I figured if guys did that for years in service stations across America, it'd be worth doing to keep the car on the road until I can rebuild the original engine. All cylinders measured outside of spec for out of round and taper. I put about 300 miles on it last season until snow fell. I put about 500 miles on it this weekend. So far less oil consumption than before, no smoking, better power. Not an ideal repair, but worthwhile in my opinion. Especially if there are budget/time constraints. 

• Like 1