Starter Tear down - then bought remanufactured

Bryan

Well, I thought the starter would be in better shape than the generator. Nope.  It was working 30 yrs ago.  Tore it down. End bushing was shattered.  The shaft had little cuts on it. When I took the bendix off looks like the armature shaft was pretty worn underneath, but not on the end.  I got to adding parts up, bendix $65 at AB, bushings, already had bought brushes for $10, then shipping.  Said heck with it. Rock Auto had a remanufactured Remy for about $143 ($119 with $25 core charge). Plus $15 shipping.   Yeah yeah save the Remy is terrible comments.  I'll keep my old starter,  maybe replace the shattered bushing and put it back together as a back up.  Anyway here are pics for the starter tear down.

IMG_6243.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG

IMG_6259.JPG

IMG_6260.JPG

IMG_6261.JPG

IMG_6263.JPG

IMG_6269.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

IMG_6282.JPG

IMG_6285.JPG

• Like 4

Got to looking into the manual. Some of the springs were not on the end of the bendix.  Just 2 tiny springs & pins in the side collar which held collar around the grooved shaft.

Starter drive.jpg

Manual picture.jpg

You made the right choice. I used to rebuild starters and electric motors for a living and i would have put that one in my parts barrel!

Often when you press a new end bushing in, the armature shaft wont fit and you need to ream the bushing to fit...special tool. And your shaft end had so much brinneling that it would be questionable how long it would last even with the bushing clearance done right. All of that happened from lack of lubrication...

• Like 1