Recommendations solicited: fire extinguisher

JonathanC

Hi all,

This will be my first year with an old car, something I see people often have in theirs is a fire extinguisher. Is that something experienced owner/drivers recommend? If so, is there a model out there that hits a "sweet spot" for mounting in an old car. I bought this car to drive and enjoy.

In a few weeks it comes out of winter storage (this is the first week around here that the temperature has stayed above freezing and we have hope of seeing the last of the stubborn patches of ice on the front lawn and swimming pool cover), and I'm looking to buy the things I will want in the car for when it's safetied and on the road sometime in May.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Here are some pics:

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

• Like 2

A good ABC fire extinguisher is a must to have in your car.  When you go to some car show they require an extingusher to be placed by one of the front tires.

You do not have to mount the estingusher any specific place inthe car but should be easy to get to incase you need one.

Rich Hartung

• Like 2

There was some fancy new type extinguisher, can't remember the name, that wasn't pressurized and never went bad.  I looked into , expensive, limited duration and once activated it goes till it's done.  No control.  Pluses and minuses need to be added up to see if it will work for you.

Ah here it is.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/efe-el40050

• Thanks 1

Important to consider what sort of extinguisher to get and how they perform. For example, dry powder fire extinguishers function by smothering the fire and starving it of oxygen. They work fine but if the powder gets quickly blown away then the fire can rapidly reignite. They work well indoors and with electrical fires, not so well if your fire has oil or petroleum involved. Wet foam fire extinguishers do a better job on clinging to the fire source and keep it out but a bit more messy. Have seen a few examples when the retardant gets sucked into the engine and can quickly start corrosion if not pulled down before that can happen. Still a better bet than having the whole car burnt to a crisp though.....

You can't buy the really good fire extinguishers any more, they were outlawed because of global warning issues.  But I bought an Amerex Halotron extinguisher.  It leaves no residue, puts out flames almost instantly (though you do have to keep an eye on it for a while so that the heat of the burning material doesn't reignite).  Is it expensive? Hell yes!  Is it worth the price?  Well, what would it cost you to repair your ride if you didn't put the fire out right away!  Money well spent.

Love your car by the way. Really great eye turner I am sure! Your trunk and mine are the same configuration with that little rise at the back for the differential housing and then the 6" channel that nothing fits in behind the back seat. As mine is a daily driver and not a show car I made a wooden platform that rests on the housing bump and is supported by legs on each side parallel to the spare tire recess. The platform is about 10" high, is contoured to cover the majority of the floor space and holds my first aid kit, tool box and two lawn chairs under the platform. It allows for suitcases or what not on the top. I cut a 6" hole in the platform and set my fire extinguisher in that so it is always handy and never covered by other stuff. Because mine is a dry chemical ABC type I shake it monthly to keep the retardant loose and not compacted. Sorry I don't have a picture. Dave

As mentioned, an "ABC" is the way to go, but that's not a brand or model.  The letters ABC are for what it will extinguish.  ABC is about the best for old cars since it'll put out everything in our old cars that will burn.  Newer cars, not so much.  If you're going to have a fire extinguisher, I'd recommend putting it the cabin.  The most important fire to put out is whatever is blocking your escape from the car.  That said, I have yet to see an old car self-immolate, either parked, or running down the road.  I hear a lot about old cars being fire traps for various reasons (old wiring, high amp 6v systems, etc.), but I personally have never seen it.  There are outside factors that can start a fire, but as I wrote, the important thing is still to get out of the car first.   

• Thanks 1

Agree with the ABC rating.  A 5 is about the smallest I'd consider and a 10 is much better IMO.  They work great on flammable liquids, the most likely type on cars.  They do work on electric, but if the power source is not removed, it may re-ignite from the current flow.

The residue is messy and really hard to remove from all the nooks and crannies.  Not as hard as ashes though?.  I had a 2000 Ford Expedition self combust on the street in front of our store.  The unfused wire to the cruise control right under the plastic master cylinder reservoir problem they had back then.  So both a class B and C fire, burning wire and brake fluid along with the plastic.   My 10ABC put it out and was big enough to keep it out.  Still totaled by the insurance though.

I agree with locating it inside the passenger compartment.  The thing about fire suppression is speed, small fires are easier to deal with.  Delay in opening hoods or trunks, even seconds, can allow the fire to become too large to kill.

Way back when I had some fire control training on flammable liquid spills (airline/aircraft related).  The only type used in that environment is dry chemical.  The actual airport fire crew had foam of course, but that isn't available outdoors in the first few minutes. 

• Thanks 2

I had on one occasion to have need for the fire extinguisher.  I was not the one to employ it however.  I was working as a wrench for the local FLM dealership and was driving a Mark V in for a possible fuel leak campaign...my mistake, leaving the engine running when I opened the hood.  The rough running combined with fuel leaking and the rush of air from lifting the hood, flash it went.  Buy working next to me saved the day and the car by grabbing the extinguisher.  Turns out there was a spark plug wire off and arcing along with the suspect fuel leak being actual.  While there was little to no fire damage, the chemical residue was quite involved.  

As stated above yes a good quality extinguisher is recommended but also having your current antique or regular car insurance upto date to cover fire, collison and theft coverage.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I have one of the Element fire extinguishers in my 1961 Corvette. It's very convenient due to its small size and light weight. It's not a cannon ball rolling around in the floorboard... I keep it on the floor to the left side of the driver's seat, under the floor mat actually which has a 'tail' that runs up beside the seat. I hope I never need it, but appreciate it being so accessible if I do.