Door sills

Booger

I know theres been discussion of sills/thresholds. If you not into paying 450 for such I thought this would be a good alternative. It has a diamond impression. Would be good for trunks floor mats shop floors.

At the orange store

20220331_095149.jpg

• Like 1

Have you bought some? How rigid is it?  Looking for an alternative for my door cards.  I have a stock pair but they are worn, musty, and ready to fall apart.  And I am not interested in paying $100 each for un-upholsterd thin cut particle board.

1 hour ago, OUTFXD said:

Have you bought some? How rigid is it?  Looking for an alternative for my door cards.  I have a stock pair but they are worn, musty, and ready to fall apart.  And I am not interested in paying $100 each for un-upholsterd thin cut particle board.

Not to mention that the oversized shipping costs will eat you up, if you have them shipped.

I watched some videos on YT that showed how to make your own.  Seemed easy, haven't tried it though.  He goes from nothing to finished.

Edited by Sniper
Found the entire playlist
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

I just made my own door panels for my 1948 Dodge sedan, I bought two sheets of 4 x 8 backer / panel boards from Home Depot, they were $19 each, I used the old door panels as templates, and they worked fantastic

7 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

FB_IMG_1648777721516.jpg

FB_IMG_1648777728985.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, thebelvedereman said:

I just made my own door panels for my 1948 Dodge sedan, I bought two sheets of 4 x 8 backer / panel boards from Home Depot, they were $19 each, I used the old door panels as templates, and they worked fantastic

Thats more or less what I was planning on doing.  I am just trying to avoid a home-cobbled-together look so I like considering multiple options.

9 hours ago, OUTFXD said:

Damn! That looks sharp!  Sorry if you found that offensive in any way.  I was trying to express doubt in my own ability to make something look professional .

I'm terrible at doing stuff like this too, but it was actually pretty easy and straightforward, I got the backer board from Home Depot, I probably could have got away with one 4x8 sheet, it would have been really close, but I also needed some to make new kicker panels, then I just took the old door panel laid it on top, traced it out with a sharpie, and put the Sharpie also in all the holes for the clips that hold the panels on, then I just cut them out with a razor knife, and used a drill bit to drill the holes for the clips, then I just got some 3M spray glue, and some cheap flannel material from Amazon, I think it was like $7 a yard, and just took a bit of time, and a lot of patience to get the material on fairly straight, it was a giant pain in the ass to put all those clips in, and make sure they were lined up perfectly with the holes in the door, so I cheated on the front, the rear ones are done with the original clips, but the front ones I just got some self tapping Chrome screws, and mounted them that way

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Booger said:

I know theres been discussion of sills/thresholds. If you not into paying 450 for such I thought this would be a good alternative. It has a diamond impression. Would be good for trunks floor mats shop floors.

At the orange store

20220331_095149.jpg

I'm sorry I hijacked your post a little bit LOL, that rubber looks like a really good idea, I actually just got done rebuilding my own sill plates, because I definitely didn't have the $600 for the new ones, the rubber was completely shot on my old ones, but the metal was still good, so I stripped off all of the old rubber with a wire wheel, then I painted them with por-15, then put five coats of spray in bedliner on them, they definitely don't look anywhere near is nice as the real ones, but they also only cost me about $30 total

I used the vinyl that is used on the kick panel of cabinets or sometimes walls. They come in 4ft sections I think if I remember correctly. But if you flip the pcs over, they have small ribs, sort of like the original look. I cut to fit and for about $5, look great (in my opinion). 

50 minutes ago, thebelvedereman said:

Here's how mine turned out after the spray-on bedliner, I'm still waiting for my carpet which has been on backorder for 2 months, to install them in the car

Resized_20220402_194809.jpeg

So, that is what the top of the metal plates look like?  (I have often wondered.  Mine are dried & cracked, but mostly all there.  I haven't pulled the rubber off because I didn't want to ruin them unless I have a better idea than just using them as they are.)

6 hours ago, 50Dodge said:

I used the vinyl that is used on the kick panel of cabinets or sometimes walls. They come in 4ft sections I think if I remember correctly. But if you flip the pcs over, they have small ribs, sort of like the original look. I cut to fit and for about $5, look great (in my opinion). 

Commercial wall cove. If I can find a picture...

1 hour ago, Eneto-55 said:

So, that is what the top of the metal plates look like?  (I have often wondered.  Mine are dried & cracked, but mostly all there.  I haven't pulled the rubber off because I didn't want to ruin them unless I have a better idea than just using them as they are.)

Mine were really bad, dried out and cracked, and missing a whole bunch of the rubber, I took a flat chisel and chiseled the rest of It Off, and then hit them with a grinder and wire wheel, then I painted them with por-15, and then I put on 5 coats of spray on bedliner

• Like 1