ashtray courtesy light !!

harmony

That's right, I have an ashtray courtesy light that I just recently discovered when I pulled out my clock to repair it.  I knew that I had a glovebox courtesy light, but when you're up under the dash looking in that direction with a flashlight, it's not obvious to see the ashtray light.  Actually it's the same bulb that services both glovebox and ashtray.  There is a shaft or tube that comes off the side of the glovebox bulb receptacle.  For those of you that have a 46-48 Chrysler you probably might already know about this hidden treasure. 

It's activated when you pull on the dash lights.  With the ashtray closed, or even half open, the light doesn't shine anywhere.  It's not until the ashtray is fully opened that the light shines through an opening at the back, side corner.  But once you remove the ashtray, the light shines, allowing you to find the opening in the dark when you replace the emptied ashtray, I suppose.

The first image shows the ashtray closed, and even though the light would be on if the dash lights were on the light is blocked off from shining into the ashtray.  In the second image the ashtray is fully open and you can see the hole in the chromed top portion of the sliding ashtray that lets the light shine inside the ashtray.

I'm curious why they would have painted that modified light receptacle a creamy white??

I'm also curious if Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, etc. also had that feature?

ashtray light3.jpg

ashtray light4.jpg

Edited by harmony
  • Like 2

That little light tube is a cool thing. I’m assuming it’s painted white for reflection of the light into the ashtray. Both of my p15 special deluxe plymouths are pretty well optioned. Neither of them has the light tube. I’m going to guess that De Soto and Chrysler have it, maybe even the Dodge. I can say that for the options in my dashboard the clock, and the glove box both have courtesy lights. 

• Like 1

I love stuff like this; it shows that someone really cared when these cars were designed and built. One could say one of the pillars that Walter P built his company on was "added value" and that simple double-duty light is a good example of that.

• Like 1

Buy a upper line Chrysler... you get most all the options!

That's why I have them.

• Like 1

Our '48 Dodge does not have either an ashtray light, or a glovebox light.  But, ours had almost no options when new, although I don't think those were Dodge options.  I have a couple original brochures that make no mention of them.  If someone knows otherwise, kindly let us know so I can add them to my list of "stuff" to keep an eye out for. 

The optional glove compartment and map light package for the Dodge is #1232608

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Part# correction
  • Like 1

20220329_095622_compress79.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Our '48 Dodge does not have either an ashtray light, or a glovebox light.  But, ours had almost no options when new, although I don't think those were Dodge options.  I have a couple original brochures that make no mention of them.  If someone knows otherwise, kindly let us know so I can add them to my list of "stuff" to keep an eye out for. 

Good to know, thanks.

On 3/30/2022 at 6:39 PM, ratbailey said:

Cool! My '48 DeSoto has a light so's you can see where to stub out your smoke! Mine's identical to yours, Harmony. 

-Art

Good to know, thanks ratbailey. 

Sorry for any late replies guys and gals.  It's rare that I get notified that someone has replied or commented on any of my post, or any threads that I'm involved it.  I went to settings and I have everything checked off, so beats me why I'm not being notified.  So I have to remember ( yeah good luck with that ;) )what threads I'm involved with and scroll to see if I should be replying to a message.    

• Like 1