Universal Joint Quality Mopar 947550 (Also MOPAR 1643172, 1752623, 1540249, 1450249, D-132)

James_Douglas

You can see from the attached what is available. The first photo is the one that was on the car. Purchased about 15 years ago. USA made. The second is a NOS Mopar factory correct 947550. It is a little narrower than the one one the car as can be seen in the cap area. The third is "new" manufacture that you see on ebay.

The NOS joint has a much smaller trunnion.

What one can see is that the new manufacture joint is poorly done. The part that indexes into the yoke is a poor casting or forging. It was NOT milled after it was made. What I worry about is the shear load transferring to the bolts as opposed to being taken up by the yoke and block itself.

I may just use three of them and then rebuild a second driveshaft over time and mill the blocks to sleeve them. That way I can get good fitting blocks.

The other option I am considering is machining an adapter that would allow one to use a regular joint in the existing yokes.

Are we having fun yet?  By the way the NOS or NORS universals...some have cork grease seals like the one I just got. The cork is junk after 50 years. I need to get some o-rings for it. Also the stock joint does not have a grease fitting.

zoom in and take a good look at the parting line. Ugly is it not?  Anyone doing a driveshaft, I suggest you hang onto the "blocks" or wings as if I come up with a way to rebuild them, you may want to have them around.

James

USA_15_years_ago.JPG

NOS_MOPAR.JPG

Current_New.JPG

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The big red garbage dragon from the east strikes again! A boycott of suppliers who sell such chinese made rubbish is long overdue! I will be starting mine by purchasing nothing but NOS from now on even if I have to wait. These big suppliers who deal in chinese made trash (pretty much everything that they make) are screwing many people out of hard earned money and enjoyment of the hobby with absolutely no conscience. I don't think anyone will dare to debate that fact. M.

Edited by Marcel Backs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marcel Backs said:

The big red garbage dragon from the east strikes again! A boycott of suppliers who sell such chinese made rubbish is long overdue! I will be starting mine by purchasing nothing but NOS from now on even if I have to wait. These big suppliers who deal in chinese made trash (pretty much everything that they make) are screwing many people out of hard earned money and enjoyment of the hobby with absolutely no conscience. I don't think anyone will dare to debate that fact. M.

I think I said something on this subject earlier.  I couldn't agree more.  Purchase using a credit card.  Give the vendor a chance to fix it.  Then request refund from the cc company.  They'll provide it then back charge the seller.   I haven't, yet,  but that's only because most of my purchases are through ebay using Paypal so they are my goto for issues.  Never failed yet.

I would have to go back and check my notes on the joints. My plan down the line when I have some time is to figure out how to sleeve the old bat wings and use off the shelf joints. Then if needed one could pull out the sleeve and press a new one in and just use a off the shelf joint.

James