After market Air Cleaner

Booger
Go to solution Solved by Booger,

God bless the oil bath air cleaner..Oh dont spill it!

Ive got the 4" chrome on the Carter B&B but its doesnt have enough surface area, (come on). Whoes got a after market nice looking 8 or 10 " air cleaner that looks good and does the job? I mean I can fab one.... Please forgive if this is old post stuff

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I made my own, granted this was on a dual throttle body setup, but the process may apply, not sure how you would do the clamp to the carb though.

http://www.yourolddad.com/air-filters

Yes I like it. you are a bit of a metal whiz, aren't you? What about a cookie or nut tin? put a collar in the bottom to the carb, and cut out some diamond shapes around the walls of the of the sides? Youll get a lot more filtered free area. (sorry no power point) I am sketching it in my mind

Many ways to skin a cat.  My setup has a 1/2" gap between the bottom plate and the top.  I wanted something that would look like it was period correct.  So I mimicked the air cleaner design that was on my 64 300 and 65 Cuda.

My car came with a 4" louvered chrome filter on it. Pretty quickly I swapped in a cheap oiled cotton element, seemed to help a lot. Recently cleaned out the oil bath and am trying it for a while. Not much change in performance, but got rid of the annoying sucking whistle that was present at certain times. Down the road I plan on using the tall "Edmunds" filters that  O'Brien's reproduces. They are 4" but are double the height of the cheap chrome filters.

Probably not fair, but the aftermarket dry filter on our D24 is a period Fram replacement that I scored off an abandoned Ford F6, not long after we got the car.  It was originally orange.  Uses AF-2 filters.  Not sure if one can still get them, we bought a case of them from Pep Boys when I did the "conversion" and haven't gone through them yet.  It didn't have an air filter when we got it.  I've found many oil bath filters since, but this one works and looks good enough for me.

DSC04470.JPG.a53266dfbc194f443d91cdeb9300e147.JPG

• Like 2

Just happened to be on the Andy Bernbaum web site yesterday looking for brake parts and stumbled on a aftermarket air cleaner  he offers.  It is a chrome "hot rod" style for $43.00.  Not for me, I'd rather do a conversion of the oil bath unit and stay with the "stock" look.  

• Like 1

Just a couple things to consider when going with a paper element. A paper filter's efficiency is based on the media and the velocity of the air passing through it. Ideally you want to keep the velocity below 100 feet per minute to minimize the pressure drop across the filter (lower pressure drop means a better breathing engine). A 230 ci engine at 3000 RPM will need about 200 cubic feet per minute to pass through the filter. That means you need at least 2 square feet of filter media for good filtration and a low pressure drop. A commonly used 6" diameter chrome filter that stands 2" high only has about 1 square foot of actual media area and at above 1500 RPM it will start to starve the engine of air. The paper filters used in the conversion of the oil bath filters have about 3 square feet of media area.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, rallyace said:

Just a couple things to consider when going with a paper element. A paper filter's efficiency is based on the media and the velocity of the air passing through it. Ideally you want to keep the velocity below 100 feet per minute to minimize the pressure drop across the filter (lower pressure drop means a better breathing engine). A 230 ci engine at 3000 RPM will need about 200 cubic feet per minute to pass through the filter. That means you need at least 2 square feet of filter media for good filtration and a low pressure drop. A commonly used 6" diameter chrome filter that stands 2" high only has about 1 square foot of actual media area and at above 1500 RPM it will start to starve the engine of air. The paper filters used in the conversion of the oil bath filters have about 3 square feet of media area.

Well, I lucked out.  I had no though about CFM requirements, assumed as big as possible was best.  My EFI setup uses two Wix 46184, they are 4" high by 5.85" diameter, according to Wix they flow 210 cfm, each.  Lots of capacity.  Thanks for bringing this up.

• Solution

I think Ive found my air cleaner. And yes its Edelbrook 10" round chrome goody at your parts store or Amazon for around $30. it clears the heating duct.

the stock application has a 5 3/4 rnd bottom hole for a Holley 4 barrell. My plan is to cap the bottom and cut in a 2 5/16 collar to fit Carter B&B 1 barrel about 2-3" high.

use a round worm clamp to attatch to carb.  A 10" round paper filter has 3 times the area of a 6 " so theres the 3 Sq ft of media. (dont forget to factor 25% air restriction from filter media. This should do the job and look good. Pictures to follow!

Not sure where you get the 25% restriction from.  But Wix will give the cfm of their filters, just look up the part number on their website. 

https://wixfilters.com/Lookup/FilterBySize.aspx

For giggles, I looked up a 10x2" round filter (close as I could get, it's 10x2.35) cfm is 140.

OK well if its good enough for a 4 barrel Holley it should be sufficent for a 1 barrel B&B.I should think sucking tons of air

the 25% filter restriction is a HVAC standard. That 140 cfm is equivilant to a 7" rd low pressure air duct in your home

your numbers make perfect sense

Edited by Booger
spel

OK is this where I admit to using shop vac filters, rubber plumbing connectors and pieces from Mr. GASKET 4 inch discount store filters?  Guess it is.  Yeah they look goofy sticking up like sore thumbs, but they seem to be effective at all throttle settings.  My friend Dave bought some Harley parts for his dual set up, looks nice and seems to work OK  but I didn't want to bust my piggy bank.

IMG_20200505_161746.jpg

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1