Side view mirrors - Swan Neck

Conn47D24

Another side project.

The only way to rechrome this used unit I found was to take it apart.

Took a big chance I had no idea what was underneath the mirror.

Small Spring and a screw which I had to retap new threads.

Used a blue thread locker and then epoxied a new mirror.

This is the driver's side which was really beat. I have a NOS for the passenger side.

IMG_20220323_110350.jpg

IMG_20220323_110340.jpg

IMG_20211104_181150.jpg

Edited by Conn47D24
Spell
  • Like 5

Swan necks are so hard to find and so rare ..do what ever you have to to have/own  a nice pair of them...

I figured that out in the late 70's.

They are like owning real estate here in the Seattle area.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Swan necks are so hard to find and so rare ..do what ever you have to to have/own  a nice pair of them...

I figured that out in the late 70's.

They are like owning real estate here in the Seattle area.

Agreed! When Jay Fisher passed, so did quality reproduction swan necks. In 1990 I purchased a set of his mirrors for my 41 Plymouth for $650.00. To this day they still look perfect. A man of few words (but his wife made up for him LOL!).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sniper said:

You can buy swan necks at speedway motors, I did. 

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/speedway-rear-view-side-mirrors~8193-10191-12070

Real MoPar swan necks are tough to find...universal chinese swan neck mirrors...naw.

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Real MoPar swan necks are tough to find...universal chinese swan neck mirrors...naw.

You know what's even harder to find?  "Real MoPar" swan necks personally blessed by Walter P. Chrysler.

You said swan necks were hard to find.  They aren't.  Ones you approve of, however, who knows.   Btw, the swan necks I got were made in the USA.

Oh.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

I had to break the original mirror to get it out and see the mechanism.

Friend with a glass business cut a new mirror for me.

So what about if the mirror is missing altogether? I have a driver's side swan piece that is missing the glass and backing 

Just now, Young Ed said:

So what about if the mirror is missing altogether? I have a driver's side swan piece that is missing the glass and backing 

I got this! .... :D

Was watching Halfass custom video the other day. He was installing the mirrors on his 1937 Ford truck he is building.

He actually had the original mirror stands that attach to the door hinges, but no mirror head to attach to the stands.

He ordered from Amazon some motorcycle mirrors for $2 apiece, cut them down and welded them to the OEM stands.

I am only suggesting to possibly use a high quality mirror, maybe oem Harley Davidson replacement mirror, then figure out how to attach them to the swan neck?

I know you are a very creative person  :)

I only have 1 swan style mirror in my treasure chest ... no idea what it came off of, you would need to be creative to attach a new head to it.

0325221424a.jpg.290d6af161a4c593a96c41ac37509bbf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The real pot metal OE Dodge DeSoto Chrysler swan neck mirror..

Came in a couple different mirror head diameters and plain smooth chrome mirror head and embossed ringed head.

They are ornamentation only for the passenger side as you can't see a thing with it's placement.

Silly phone orientation pics?20220327_165011_compress70.jpg.f1d5f9916279d9522d3515b116a757d2.jpg

20220327_165026_compress99.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

I have always heard that the right side mirror is useless for vision.  There are some other outside mirrors - the type used by Robin In the U K on his P15 convertible - that are good usable mirrors for both sides.