Electric fuel pump vs mechanical

frijolito

both deliver fuel....maintenance convenance and ease of finding a pump along the road if your electric goes out is much easier than finding a mechanical and could be all the difference on the trip home, on its own power or atop a flat top hauler.  

as an aside, many use the electric as a priming device and switch to mechanical once started....in doing this if in the event of mechanical failure you can still activate the electrical pump to continue driving.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 3

I double what Plymouthy has stated above. The electric is a good backup pump to the mechanical and also a good pump toprime the systemand also if you get a vapor lock.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Would someone please refresh my aging memory about venting the gas tank for a 6 volt electrical fuel pump?

I've read in earlier threads and I think I even asked this question before but for the life of me I can't remember what the advice was.  I'm pretty sure that I don't have a vent in my tank, and I thought (if it's necessary) to remove the sender in my fuel tank, and drill/tap a hole in the top and then run a 90 degree fitting with a line from it, to vent the tank.  I don't really feel like drilling a hole in the filler tube and welding in a vent line.   

57 minutes ago, harmony said:

Would someone please refresh my aging memory about venting the gas tank for a 6 volt electrical fuel pump?

I've read in earlier threads and I think I even asked this question before but for the life of me I can't remember what the advice was.  I'm pretty sure that I don't have a vent in my tank, and I thought (if it's necessary) to remove the sender in my fuel tank, and drill/tap a hole in the top and then run a 90 degree fitting with a line from it, to vent the tank.  I don't really feel like drilling a hole in the filler tube and welding in a vent line.   

Yes...your memory is faulty.  ?

If your tank vents properly with the mechanical pump it will vent with the electric, the tank doesn't know the difference. I think you are getting tangled up with something someone may have told you about a return line being necessary for an electric pump....but that ain't so.

5 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Yes...your memory is faulty.  ?

If your tank vents properly with the mechanical pump it will vent with the electric, the tank doesn't know the difference. I think you are getting tangled up with something someone may have told you about a return line being necessary for an electric pump....but that ain't so.

Thanks Sam.  You'd think at least with a poor memory that I would be able to forget the misinformation instead of the good stuff.  ?

6 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

The standard, original cap is vented.  

That's a very cool Suburban you got there.  I'll bet there aren't many of those around these days.  I know I've never seen one.

7 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

A good electric pump can also function very nicely as the only pump.  :)

And the arm doesn't come off and rattle around in your crankshaft like as a recent poster stated. And no diaphragm to break and let gas into your oil pan.  https://p15-d24.com/topic/57720-main-bearings-oil-pressure-etc/

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, bartenderfloyd said:

Does anyone recommend a particular brand pump that is "flow through?"  I'd like to install one as a primer and back up but I'm reading that the Carter 4259 is not meant to be used as a secondary. 

Why not use the Carter as your primary (only) pump?   :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Why not use the Carter as your primary (only) pump?   :)

Primarily because the mechanical pump is working well but there were a few times when I had to crank for a while to start after the car sat for a long time.  Also, I'm lazy and don't feel like running a return line.  Actually...that's the primary reason. LOL!

1 hour ago, bartenderfloyd said:

Primarily because the mechanical pump is working well but there were a few times when I had to crank for a while to start after the car sat for a long time.  Also, I'm lazy and don't feel like running a return line.  Actually...that's the primary reason. LOL!

Why would you run a return line? This is a low-pressure pump designed for use with a carb.

19 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Why would you run a return line? This is a low-pressure pump designed for use with a carb.

I'm sure we can have a wonderful debate but I think we are getting off topic here.  Are you using a pass through pump and is it a brand you would recommend?

15 minutes ago, bartenderfloyd said:

I'm sure we can have a wonderful debate but I think we are getting off topic here.  Are you using a pass through pump and is it a brand you would recommend?

I use a Carter pump located just forward of the fuel tank as the only pump. The mechanical pump was removed and a blockoff plate installed. This pump has been in service on my P15 for two years and I ran the same type pump on a carbed kit car for ten years. Flawless service in both applications, no return lines.

If I wanted a pass-through pump I would install a Facet pump such as the ones I use on aircraft as a boost pump. The Facet pump on my RV-6 aircraft has been in service for 22 years, still clicking.  :)

I also used a Facet pump in the Chevy S-10 when the 2.8V6 was replaced with an engine that didn't have a mechanical pump.

This is the 6v Carter rotary pump, have only used it as a primary pump, don't know how it would function pass-through.

fuel-pump.jpg.76a1ac43d57590819d096eb9f9f52d7c.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1