Trouble installing new handbrake band on 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Good brake reliners can quickly adjust oversize band lining to required spec thickness using a spindle drum grinder.

Most don't realize say .030" or a little more matters.

.156" material was available by our Brake and Clutch Supply shop thru the 80's.

If they have to.... they grind it to the required spec. thickness now.

We used to reline the brake shoes on the overhead crane used to dump material into the conveyors at the cement plant I worked at.  So I was thinking DIY not sending it out to be done.  Yes, I would expect a good brake reliner to know his job.  But seems to me someone, some where, doesn't if that's what people are getting when they buy new ones.

Many of the people doing repairs/rebuilding of old cars and trucks parts and what not didn't start out working on them.

Many do not know exactly how and what to do.

Those people who did these older cars truck back in the day are old/retired or dead!

Though there are some who know the right way around the old stuff.

Or the parts are made in China or India, where they have no idea what the parts are supposed to do on a car.  Take for example the modern engine mounts which are made out of very hard plastic with no give whatsoever.  They have no idea that these parts are meant to cushion and absorb the vibration of the engine.  

• Thanks 1

I guess we should be grateful at least folks are still around to help keep the old car hobby up and going.

The poor quality parts certainly are a aggravating issue for sure.

Requires extensive parts searching to over come that issue. 

• Like 1

Since I have a three speed stick with OD and they did not offer that on 1946 to 1948 Desoto....the bracket that bolts to the trans to hold the passenger side of the band had to be made.  (The P & D drums are smaller and their brackets will not work.)

The bracket is not perfect. So it makes it hard to get the band to adjust correct. Plus the thickness issues.

I get some 80 grit sticky back sand paper. I stick it to the drum, over lapping it in the direction of travel. I have the band sort of loose. I jack up the car and run it with the tires spinning. I pull the hand brake lightly with the lock depressed and "sand" the band to get it to conform. I then vacuum up the dust and set the brake adjustment as per the instruction with a feeler gauge. I then wire lock the nut-spring on the passenger side, again per the manuals, and I am good to go.

James 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

I get some 80 grit sticky back sand paper. I stick it to the drum, over lapping it in the direction of travel. I have the band sort of loose. I jack up the car and run it with the tires spinning. I pull the hand brake lightly with the lock depressed and "sand" the band to get it to conform. I then vacuum up the dust and set the brake adjustment as per the instruction with a feeler gauge. I then wire lock the nut-spring on the passenger side, again per the manuals, and I am good to go.

Genius, only thing I would add is wear a dust mask.  Fine dust, of any sort, in your lungs is a bad thing, if it's an NOS band it probably has asbestos in it too, a worse thing.  Oh, and do it outside, on a really windy day, you don't want that dust in the shop, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to get back to those who have thus issue...

I just didnt want to shave a bunch of lining off my brand new ebrake. So instead of making the fat lining thinner, i removed the bracket on the bottom and ovaled the mounting holes about an 1/8" . That fixed the problem beautifully.

• Like 2