Received my 49 Chrysler Build Record!

Bryan G

Well, it took almost a year...but it arrived! Yes, Stellantis is still offering copies of the old build records, they just have a massive backlog. Aside from the record, they were able to tell me the original dealer was East Side Motors of Granite City, IL. Now, to find a photo of the dealership, and to decipher some of the finer points of the card. One nice point: I can now verify my engine is original.

7101528.pdf

• Like 5

Some of them make sense; ; in the bottom row, it has radio & ant, heater, booster brakes, etc. But some of the others, especially the top holes, will take some digging. 

Parts didn't sit around too long waiting to be put together into a car. The build date was May 27, shipped on the 28th. The speedometer was stamped May 9; I couldn't find the photos I took but the clock was built in late April as I recall, and I'm pretty sure the radio was stamped May.

Edited by Bryan G
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jjareckijr said:

Bryan G

Can you provide the source for your build sheet?

Also, have you ever changed the replaced seals?  Any advise on doing so?

You need to send a request, along with proof of ownership (a copy of the title or registration) to:

Danielle Szostak-Viers
Stellantis Historical Services
CIMS 410-11-21
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288

or email to

danielle.szostak@stellantis.com

There is no charge; I had filled out a form when I did it but I'm not sure where I found it. Expect it to take a long time---mine was nearly a year, and they don't contact you in the meantime. They will email you a scan of the build record and will let you know the name of the original dealer/city. That's all they can tell you, which isn't anything to sneeze at.

Sorry, I haven't done my axle seals. Mine might have had some minor seepage but that was all. I do have a leak somewhere a the "pumpkin" that I need to tackle at some point. Keep checking around; there is an amazing wealth of knowledge buried in these forums. 

Problem is, they want proof of ownership showing the vehicle serial number.  TX used the engine serial number on the title back then.  Which Chrysler can't use and it appears they have no way or desire to deal with this issue.

Just a story, no usable info here; We were lucky that the dealer we bought our D24 from in San Elizario, TX knew some of the car's history.  That, and that it still had its first few years of service stickers on the driver's door post helped us track down that it was sold new in Carlsbad, NM.  We moved to Carlsbad a few years later, and that dealer was (is) still operating there (Carlsbad Motors).  They still had their records, so we found out that although they sold it new, Chrysler had delivered it to Las Cruces, NM.  We even met the guy who sold it at a car show in Carlsbad, he had retired only a few years before.  I was only ever interested in where the car was sold new, so after that, we never sought out Chrysler's records on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just got a copy of the build record for my truck (attached). Does anyone know what size the original was and what type of paper they used?

I'm trying to decipher the drive (LRD), model (T13), use eng. symbol (E-149), body type (COWL), axle ratio (5/4), wheels-tires---size and ply (DL.DISC 6.00X20-6GDYR.), paint code (RED.), and extra equipment (INQ. I3463 B. CARR AUX SPRINGS DUP.CLNR. CHROME F. BUMPER, RAD & HDLIGHTS.).
  • LRD = ?
  • model = T13 [T13 is the first part of the motor number (T13-7512), T = truck, T13: Make = Dodge Truck, Model = KH 16-18V, KH 21-23V, KH 31-33-V; T-13 is also part of the engineering cod (T-13-E), T = truck, 23” long, 201 ci]
  • eng. symbol = E-149 = ? (the wheelbase is 149” so maybe it’s related to that)
  • body type = COWL = chassis cowl = what is this?
  • axle ratio = 5/4 = ?
  • wheels-tires---size and ply = DL.DISC = I assume disc wheels (as compared with spoke wheels)
  • wheels-tires---size and ply = 6.00X20-6GDYR. = I assume this is the size of the front tires = 6.00X20, 6 ply, Goodyear. I have 6.50-20 tires on the back.
  • Anyone know the number for red paint in 1935
  • extra equipment = INQ. I3463 = ?
  • extra equipment = B. CARR = ?
  • extra equipment = AUX SPRINGS = ?
  • extra equipment = DUP.CLNR. = ?
  • extra equipment = CHROME F. BUMPER = chrome front bumper (?) which it has
  • extra equipment = RAD & HDLIGHTS. = radiator and headlights = ?

thanks,

-- Brian

build record.jpg

On 3/18/2022 at 11:33 PM, Bryan G said:

You need to send a request, along with proof of ownership (a copy of the title or registration) to:

Danielle Szostak-Viers
Stellantis Historical Services
CIMS 410-11-21
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288

or email to

danielle.szostak@stellantis.com

There is no charge; I had filled out a form when I did it but I'm not sure where I found it. Expect it to take a long time---mine was nearly a year, and they don't contact you in the meantime. They will email you a scan of the build record and will let you know the name of the original dealer/city. That's all they can tell you, which isn't anything to sneeze at.

If you google "FCA Historical Services" you can get a link to a copy of the form from various Chrysler clubs. Here's one that comes right up on Google. It was a PDF that I electronically filled out by inserting typing on it. I just sent the request in for the record for my car by email (with a scan of my registration), a few days later I got an email from Danielle saying that it's in the queue and they expect to be sending a scan to me in the second quarter of this year (so April-June, I guess). Maybe they developed a backlog during the pandemic and they're getting the numbers down.

Also note that no records are available for Canadian-built or post-1967 cars.

Edited by Jonathan Campbell