MC Dodge remote brake booster issue

maok

Hey all you brake gurus, the previous owner installed a remote brake booster to help with brake pedal pressure, he was getting on in years.

Ever since I've owned the car the brake pedal has always been rock hard, brakes work very well, so no issue with brake capacity but the booster does not seem to have any affect to the pedal feel.

Initially I thought the remote booster needed a rebuild, due to the fact that the car hadn't been driven much since its restoration, so I had the booster rebuilt but this made no difference to the brake pedal feel. I've checked vacuum from the hose that feeds the booster from the inlet manifold, plenty of vacuum 20* on the gauge.

I am finally stumped, any new ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by maok

Just thoughts-

Is the booster Too big?

Plumbed properly?

Vacuum checked while driving?

Block vacuum off and check brake function again?

Perhaps a larger bore master cylinder which would give a longer pedal stroke and softer pedal?

Free play in the brake piston rod correct?

Brain drained- need to go rest now! ?

Well, you asked for thoughts (guesses) .?

DJ

35 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Just thoughts-

Is the booster Too big?

Plumbed properly?

Perhaps a larger bore master cylinder which would give a longer pedal stroke and softer pedal?

Brain drained- need to go rest now! ?

Well, you asked for thoughts (guesses) .?

DJ

Thanks DJ, I'm having that brain drain too....lol

Is the booster Too big?

Its a 7" PBR VH44 designed for cars in the '60/70's with all drum brakes.

Plumbed properly?

Yes. A very simple setup, brake line from MC to remote booster then out to brake line which splits to all four wheels.

I haven't tried this, will give it ago, but I cant see how there would be a loss of vacuum. At idle with full vacuum, its still rock hard.

Will give it ago.

I would have thought the opposite.

Seems to be correct, there is about an inch of free play before there is brake function.

37 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Thanks for the link, very useful.

I wonder if its my hose from the manifold to the booster, I did replace it but never checked its ID.

BTW if you Yanks are wondering what a "PBR" brake booster is PBR was Patons Brake Replacement an Oz company that made these remote boosters as Maok said for 1950-60's Oz cars.........2 types were made, VH44 for drum brake systems and VH40 for disc brake systems, AFAIK they were only for connection to the front brake line........MAOK, I thought they were 8" or 9" diameter but sold my NOS one 5-6 yrs ago............have you checked the fitting on the booster that the hose attaches to?.......I've had that play up.................andyd   

1 hour ago, andyd said:

BTW if you Yanks are wondering what a "PBR" brake booster is PBR was Patons Brake Replacement an Oz company that made these remote boosters as Maok said for 1950-60's Oz cars.........2 types were made, VH44 for drum brake systems and VH40 for disc brake systems, AFAIK they were only for connection to the front brake line........MAOK, I thought they were 8" or 9" diameter but sold my NOS one 5-6 yrs ago............have you checked the fitting on the booster that the hose attaches to?.......I've had that play up.................andyd   

Hey Andy, thanks for the explanation of the brand, I thought it was a universal brand, not aust. specific...lol

Are you sure about only boosting the front brakes?

I think there were two sizes available, 7-1/2 and 9-3/4, I wonder if mine is the 7-1/2" and is undersized, will check tomorrow. I had it rebuilt awhile ago.

Its got me stuffed, which is not hard at all....lol

Edited by maok

On 3/17/2022 at 2:30 AM, andyd said:

BTW if you Yanks are wondering what a "PBR" brake booster is .................andyd   

We have PBR boosters here too. If you drink enough PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) it'll boost your confidence to do a lot of stupid things. 

Pabst Blue Ribbon | LCBO  21 Best Hold My Beer Meme - Meme Central

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Haha 2

Maok........do we give Merle an encouragement award or just ignore him?.........lol...........yep..........I agree.....he should send both of us a carton of the PBR he talks aboutso we can conduct a proper test of its properties........lol..........andyd

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No doubt about it Andy...:)

• Haha 1