The Great ‘38 Thread of '22

keithb7

Sounds like you are prepared. Enjoy the trip and all the experiences that will come with it. Safe travels.

Safe travels!

A friend once said to me "If it can make it around the block, it can make it around the world".

Moral of the story, enjoy the drive. Don't think about the "what if" because it takes the fun away. I've driven my Meadowbrook on several long trips and it's always been memorable. Traveling in a classic is different, in a great way. Have fun!

Posted (edited)

I enjoyed a nice trouble free trip. Just a tad under 300 miles total travel.

I took a GPS along today check my speedometer and odometer. Seems I am traveling about 5% less than what my speedo reads.  Not bad considering the car's age. I calculated my fuel economy.  I am getting about 16.5 MPG with bias tires and my 237 ci engine.

The car performed very well. I know my temp gauge is out about 15-20F. I took some caution today just to be safe. Heading back up a long mountain range home, there is a long grade.  For many miles. It was a pretty warm day. Over a period of 20 mins I watched my gauge slowly creep up and up.  The steepest section was yet to come. My temp gauge was pegged past the 212 mark. I would estimate I was actually under 200 still at that point.

A profile of the hi-way home is shown.  When I got to about the 800M elevation mark, I pulled over and shut the engine down. I waited until the temp gauge read 160F. I fired it up and without any trouble we climbed up and over the pass, maintaining 50 mph in 3rd gear. 1:1 tranny output and 4.11 rear end. The temp never did read higher than 210 (in reality probably 190F) all the way up. The car performed beyond my expectations. For my own peace-of-mind I may install a new accurate temperature gauge. Maybe bolt it down on the bottom edge of the dash.

I pretty well maintained 50 MPH the entire trip. Glad I did the trip. I look forward to more. The engine oil level never moved.

The car show was fun. Just one other old Mopar car. A 1937 Dodge, convertible. Pics seen below.

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 8.08.20 PM.png

Edited by keithb7

• 3 weeks later...

Not a 38' but close enough.. It's about time I get it out here on the web. My 37' P4 coupe. Same color as your 38 I believe. Stock drive train but engine is a flathead out of a 53'.2070465911_helvetiamarket.jpg.c7c14e59a156500105bfc09eefb57a83.jpg1342067663_benchseat.JPG.a9a3565d373d7509c77ee19b9c030edc.JPG579582422_backseat.jpg.ddf8d15ad288118f3c20c95a83c1ad4a.jpgfield.jpg.0e6e4c49229f99f41edfb539eedc76be.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat

Thanks for joining in @Desert Rat. That's a great car. That is the first time I have seen a photo of a coupe's back seat. Mine does not have a back seat.  My spare tire is back there. Also a storage shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been so hot in this mountainous area, I’ve been driving my Mopars very little. We have been seeing 100F for the past week. The big hill home packs a punch to the cooling systems on both of my cars.  This morning I got up before the sun to hit the roads and grab a coffee.  Nice and cool, about 72F. I’ve missed enjoying them.  

I wish I could say say the cars have benefited by maximizing my time in the garage. Not so. The garage hits 100 each day as well. Small projects have me leaking worse than an old radiator.  Next week we are expecting a cooling period. 

Very quiet out here this morning. Nice. Very nice. 

D016BD06-900D-43F4-9B8D-7CFF6C91F7E0.jpeg

Posted (edited)

My Chrysler is running fantastic. The cylinder head swap was well worth the time investment. A couple of leaky valves were also sealed up. Best of all are the results of the carb cleaning in the ultrasonic cleaner, then rebuilt. Its running so nice and smooth now. I also checked my throttle linkage. I put a couple of bricks on the gas pedal, so it was to the floor. (engine not running of course) I then proceeded to check my throttle valve at the carb base. I still had room to open it further. I then twisted a threaded rod in the throttle linkage, making it longer. Now the throttle was opening further. All the way now, wide open. I definitely picked up more HP and torque.  She's pulling harder than ever. Did I mention smooth? Very happy with the latest work I completed on this engine. A rewarding project.

Tonight at dusk it cooled off enough to take this car, and make it do what it was built to do.  Thanks to everyone at Chrysler Canada in 1938.

6V lights.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

Posted (edited)

I may have thought about it for 5 seconds. The bugs are atrocious. Suspect it would be hard to get non-ethanol fuel.  Any car show might be just me and my other car.  It’s definitely cooler. You get about 4-6 weeks of bad snowmobiling per year. 

A large portion ½ way up the white area shown, is really pleasant in Aug and Sept. North of that I’m definitely out. 😁

Edited by keithb7