The Great ‘38 Thread of '22

keithb7

When out cruising I keep an eye out for pic opportunities where you can’t tell if its 1938 or present day. I snap a pic and tweak it with an editor app.  Its fun. Here’s one from this morning. 

4A624279-1529-42A1-890D-F2D44EC8559D.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in at a little local weekly hang out tonight. I made some new friends. Lots of interest in my Chrysler.  Its running good. Not quite 100% though  Probably 95%! Lol. I’m getting picky in my old age. 

AD9F3097-B191-4FC6-B416-3733F6A1A7F8.jpeg

7648D441-A238-47AD-AB56-1D21493D691B.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4

Well if the engine wasn’t quite broken-in, tonight we sure nudged it closer.  We went out for dinner tonight. My mother-in-law in the back seat. My wife up front with me. I could feel the extra weight. The car’s suspension was smoother as the rear leaf springs earned their keep.  Later we drove through main street down town. My son was walking out of a restaurant with his friends. He claimed that he actually didn’t even see my  car. He just spotted the split rear window and the green as we were fading away. He knew it was my car. “Only one in Kamloops”, he said.  He called us. “Hey guys, I’ve had a few, I sure could use a ride home!”  We turned around to pick him up. Now we had a load!

We were in the valley bottom. We meandered up, and up the hills to his place. I’m sure I’ve never worked my Plymouth harder. She did very well.   She got a bit warmer, to be expected.  But no trouble. 

It was a new driving experience. The car certainly drove differently. Steering and braking not as responsive.  While driving I’m imagining a family of 6 or more getting around in 1940 in the very same car.

Tonight I’m smug and satisfied. Definitely worth the time and effort to rebuild my engine to a 237.  She purred into the garage tonight. Happy with the renewed spring in her step, and a purpose. 

99,970 miles

PS: I see now that my car’s 6V lights are more reliable than the new LED lights on the house. 

F4FBEB17-0C02-48EC-957A-0650142D43BE.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

My offical 1938 Baby Monitor is now up and running. It is streaming 24/7.  No more going to bed and wondering if I closed the garage door.

If someone decides they want to help themselves to whatever is in my garage, I believe I have a good chance of minimizing losses. 

566FDF73-D557-48DF-BB54-D78386BF271A.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

My offical 1938 Baby Monitor is now up and running. It is streaming 24/7.  No more going to bed and wondering if I closed the garage door.

If someone decides they want to help themselves to whatever is in my garage, I believe I have a good chance of minimizing losses. 

566FDF73-D557-48DF-BB54-D78386BF271A.jpeg

Is that an office fluorescent or LED light?  Imagine it's on all night or do you have motion detection?

The security camera has good night vision and motions sensors. It has built-in LEDs that turn on when movement is detected. The light that is on and hanging in the photo is just a 4 ft florescent light. I just had it on when I was checking my camera placement. No, it's not on 24/7. I have started upgrading to 4 ft LED lights. 1 installed so far. Not seen in the pic.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I enjoyed a nice evening at the local weekly car hang-out spot.  Many folks appreciated seeing my stock 1938. There were comments about the legendary Mopar flathead and Chrysler’s engineering.  Had a good conversation about the Airflow back in the day. 

It’s nice to be out and about chatting cars with others of like mind.  I prefer the low-key hangout over a formal car show. 

5219E2D0-09ED-4D3A-81C7-C16D52F70FA6.jpeg

• Like 2

Today the big reset occurred. My 1938 Plymouth. I was holding back the miles waiting for my wingman to be available. My son. We were driving together to his  university graduation ceremony this afternoon. 

4598C498-459C-4C1E-9F89-897130B475D6.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

It's a new car again! Did the new car smell come back? Great accomplishment - 100,000 miles in 84 years - only about 1,200 miles a year average.

I have little doubt that the car sat for long periods over the past 84 years. Stretches where it waited for a new motivated owner. It was pretty run down when I got it. I’ve been picking away at it for over 3 years.  I’ve put 2,000 miles on it so far.  First year of ownership I was excited just to get it around the block, and make it back home. 
she’s come a long ways. We both have. I’ve learned a ton. 

• Like 4

It has been fun watching the rebirth you put her through. Thanks for the videos and commentary as you went. I'm sure you will average more than 1,200 miles a year from here on out and it will get better care that it saw for many decades of its life. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Does the 38 have the speedometer feature of a light changing from green to amber at 30, and from amber to red at 50?  I wonder how long Chrysler kept that gimmick?  Phillip Marlowe also drove Plymouth 38s.  If you are familiar with the Laguna Beach Pageant of the Masters, they were featuring 1940s film noir on stage.  They always have a show stopper just before intermission, so they had Phillip Marlowe drive his Plymouth coupe out on the stage.  Then, he got out and pulled his gun as gun shots rang out from above.  Marlowe was hit and he fell to the ground!  

Talk to me about vacuum motors, I have been collecting them for years.

Sorry guys, just Keith.  He is one favour ahead with me.   dp

On 6/10/2022 at 5:14 PM, keithb7 said:

First year of ownership I was excited just to get it around the block, and make it back home. 
she’s come a long ways. We both have. I’ve learned a ton. 

Be glad when I get mine finished. I've had my moments, like trial fitting of the rear main..duh.   Learning: Getting guides out, getting stuck valves out, oil passages, how to thread holes, how handy impact wrenches are, don't block a motor from turning by wood blocking a piston, don't dry brake fluid with a torch.  Yours was a really nice project, learned a lot from your videos and took notes.

On my regular under-car inspection today I found a disaster in the making. My Battery cable from the negative post to the starter. A little wiggle and I saw sparks. My ‘38 Chrysler.  

Keep up on your cables folks. They make great fire starters. 

DC4CC716-2144-4C29-985B-2DD8677713E4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 6:59 PM, keithb7 said:

On my regular under-car inspection today I found a disaster in the making. My Battery cable from the negative post to the starter. A little wiggle and I saw sparks. My ‘38 Chrysler.  

Keep up on your cables folks. They make great fire starters. 

DC4CC716-2144-4C29-985B-2DD8677713E4.jpeg

And beer cans falling out of the cabinet.. ?

• Like 2

In Canada, the best love you can give a flathead with a carb and a mechanical fuel pump…Marked marine gas. No ethanol. No road tax. Premium octane for the price of regular. Illegal of course but that’s a risk I’m willing to take tonight for the old girl.  She sure runs great on it.  She loves it!

8FC77E1D-464B-4E16-9425-6D312CA62FBB.jpeg

• Like 1

A very pleasant evening cruise in my Plymouth tonight. Its getting close to the northern hemisphere summer solstice. Nice long warm evenings. At 10:15 pm I’d say it was finally dark. 

The engine is getting smoother and better performing. The rings must be seating nicely. Its so quiet you can almost hear the spark jumping the gap inside the distributor cap.  What a fine machine. 

Odometer 51.7 miles. 

2AABF544-222A-447C-BC38-92C1AFB24937.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 8

I drove just over 100 miles today. On the hi-way to a car small car show.  It was neat to see so much interest in my 38 Plymouth. Tons on inquiries. I also met some new friends. Flathead Mopar owners.  Of course we hit-it-off and shared contact info.  One fellow offered me a complete rolling chassis from a 1940 Dodge sedan . From rad to exhaust pipe tip. All powertrain, rad. Brakes. Axles. Engine. Tranny. I may just take it. Some more good spare parts. Plus I can move some along to others in need. 

Another older fellow was grateful we met. Perhaps I can help him maintain his old Mopar.  Sounds like he’s new to them. His car, he just bought 6 months ago. 

I saw a nice ‘35 Dodge coupe today.  Was a great little show. Real nice folks and some great cars.  I hit some inclement weather. My 1 vacuum wiper worked well. 

2CDFC13B-4A2A-4ED5-A5B5-2FC3D9502A4E.jpeg

0BDA9AF0-3E39-4BFD-A98A-FD9C28C9B994.jpeg

C890CF62-7C8B-4CC7-A496-C0825D18C5C4.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been reading a book on American Automobile history. Written in 1965. It’s perfect for me. I’m not overly interested in anything newer than that. Lol. 

My 1938 Plymouth is an example of the 10th year of the Plymouth line. Henry Ford had totally dominated the low price car market for many years. No other car manufacturer seemed to be able to compete with Ford’s mass produced assembly line, low cost, Model T. He was losing the gap though. Eventually he had to accept that it was time  for a change. The Model T had run its course. In 1928 the Ford factories closed as they re-tool’d and prepared for the newest, upgraded Ford. What a perfect time for Walter Chrysler to release his new low-priced Plymouth line. I suppose you couldn’t buy a low priced new Ford in 1928, but hey this new Plymouth looks pretty swell. And loaded with features! 

Was the 1928 Plymouth a choreographed release for Chrysler? Or just pure luck? The next year the 1929 Ford Model A was revealed. Walter had already won a lot of new customers by then. His entry priced Plymouth started at $670. The 1928 4 dr 5 passenger sedan was $725. My 1938 Plymouth 5 passenger P6 Deluxe sedan was priced at $803. 

Here we are at the pump tonight. A fine, fine summer evening cruise. I’m getting great value back on that engine rebuild. 

212 miles. 

73670A65-71E1-424D-B37A-3B5B437EEB55.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

I am packing the trunk tonight. I'm inspecting my Plymouth sedan closely. Checking everything.  I am indeed taking it on a road trip. About 3 hours drive each way. Farthest trip yet for me and my Plymouth. This trip if I come back unscathed, will take me over the edge. Beyond any reservations I've had about traveling outside earlier comfort range in an 84 year old car. I've packed up some tools, extra gasoline, hi-way triangle warning signs, checked the jack and spare, (It was flat, never checked it before. Oops) Extra Oil, brake fluid, water and more.  She got all new hoses and belts last winter. Rad rebuilt. New water pump. She's good to go. I am going to get under there with the grease gun now and hit every nipple.  I had planned to make this trip 2 years ago. Forest fires kept me home. Then the engine came out for an overhaul.  Sorta glad I never went 2 years ago, knowing what I know now! Lol.  The engine had broken top piston rings. Could have been a mess.

Just me & the pooch and my AAA card. Should be a fun day. I'll depart at 5AM local time and hit the super hi-way over a mountain pass.  I'll meet my brother and his vintage car at a large car show. We'll go in together and hang out for the day, talking cars all day. My big brother was a car guy before me. Only because he turned 16 first. We rebuilt a couple engines together when we were in high school. Outside, laying on plywood in the backyard, lining up trannies and clutches. Good times. We got 'er done though and it gave me the confidence to keep at it for the rest of my life. 

Really looking forward to the road trip. Some alone time, a hot coffee on the road. Hangin out with my brother. Will post pics of any Flathead Mopars at the show or of me on a tow hook. Lol. We shall see! 

IMG_1960.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3