Back to the 50s car show

Booger

For 80 bucks I'd rather fill up my tank and drive for an ice cream with the change. Shoot, I just went to the March Meet, saw some really nice cars and got my eyes burned out with nitro for 40 bucks. Have fun either way!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DJK said:

I have come to the conclusion that it is a lot more fun to cruise with my Cranbrook than to sit at a car show, it's a driver, not a show car.

Well said.  Members of our car club meet every Monday night at the Dairy Queen.  I'm fine with that, for about maybe 30 minutes, and then all I think about is how much more fun it would be to be just out cruising in my car.  

One issue with a car show is everyone who looks at the car is almost compelled to try and find fault.  They should be so lucky to be in that kind of shape when they are at that age. ;) 

• Like 2

Agreed! Much more fun to drive the car and yak with folks at the DQ. Compared to 8 hours hovering over and protecting your car at a car show? I definitely prefer low key, local car scene hangouts than actual formal car shows. At a show last summer I did not enter to be judged. I am not too interested in having someone tell me my trunk floor mat isn't stock.  Or my spark plug wires are not period correct. I did't restore my Chrysler anyways. If it won any award that would be awkward....

It would be way more exciting to judge my car's performance versus other same year Mopars. Driving up the big hill home. A timed event. Only flathead Mopars 54 and back. Now that would be fun! 1st, 2nd, 3rd place showing would mean more to me. 1 place for best performance of a tuned up stock flathead with points and mechanical fuel pump. Single cab and single exhaust. Stock air filter, coil, distributor. etc.

218 class, standard and fluid drive for all classes. 230 class 237 class 251 class 265 class.

Is there any regional P15-D24 meets? My personal preference, we need one in the Pacific Northwest!

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Agreed! Much more fun to drive the car and yak with folks at the DQ. Compared to 8 hours hovering over and protecting your car at a car show?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when a well-known local painter told me it would cost $10-15K to paint my car.  Imagine people and their belt buckles leaning over to look at the engine. Nope, going to be DIY Rustoleum, or DIY body work and MAACO paint job.  https://paintstrategies.com/maaco-paint-job-cost/

• Like 3

I bought a Plymouth, because it is not rare or special ( well, it IS a Special Deluxe...) 

I have young kids. I want them to enjoy it with me, not make me pull my hair out anytime they act like kids around it! 

There are getting to be more and more "active" antique car events because of all these things y'all are saying. 

Hillclimbs, reliability runs, beach and field drag racing, with strict rules to keep cars "period appropriate" in looks and tech.

People complain about it, but it keeps things fair, and frankly, more interesting.

Yes, these things will chip up your paint and wear out your rings, but these cars were meant to be used, and enjoyed and if we let them sit, drive them with kid gloves, and gather dust, perfect and unused, why is the next generation going to have ANY interest in them? 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I go every year. i preregister my truck even though i know im not going to have it there. they just raised the preregistration price to $40 this year which probably means the spectator tickets are also going up this year. So i have to make an educated guess based on last years prices but when you preregister they give you 2 buttons so you can come and go as you please all 3 days of the event. If 2 people go only 1 day its cheaper to buy tickets at the gate. if both people go 2 days its cheaper to preregister a vehicle regardless if you drive it there or not but at least i have the option to drive inside if i wanted to. The break even point used to be between 3 and 4 tickets at the gate. Then if you go 3 days the cost to preregister really goes down. Now if you drive your vehicle inside the fair grounds you can bring a cooler with you, a little grill and food, or make sandwiches. now your not forced to buy expensive food and drinks on top of it. The last year that i drove my truck in was 2015 and we did bring a cooler and chairs. My girlfriend and i make a point to go 2 days which is usually enough for me. sometimes ill go back a third day, but i found it easier and less stressful to just drive a modern car then driving my truck on the freeway. Thats my$.02 but i look forward to 50s every year!

On 3/9/2022 at 8:20 PM, Young Ed said:

It's only 80 if you don't preregister

Lol, it cost me more than $80. When I went in 2019 

i say, don’t write off this show so fast if you have never done it before, there were over 11000. (Eleven thousand registered minus Ram man lol) Pre 64 vehicles when we went...... rather awesome! 

Best part,  I got to use granny low to get out of there ?

On 3/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, keithb7 said:

Is there any regional P15-D24 meets? My personal preference, we need one in the Pacific Northwest!

I think the BBQ in Lodi (this weekend) is as close as i’ve seen.