I'm getting ready to start my engine for the first time.

MarcDeSoto

Since the body is off of my chassis, and the car is not wired, I'm wondering what is the minimum I need to do to get it started?  I guess I don't have to wire the generator and regulator.  And I think I don't have to wire in the ammeter.  I know I need to wire the primary wiring such as the coil and the distributor wiring.  I need to hook up the oil filter and the oil pressure gauge.  I probablly need to take the oil pump out and prime it.  And my carburetor was rebuilt in the 80s, so it might be dicey.  Any comments?  

7 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

so you wire the coil directly to the negative side of the battery

Better put a switch in that line to shut off the engine.  Might get into an over rev situation and you do not want to rely on unbolting something to turn it off.

• Like 1

Tony released a video yesterday about engine break in. Explained what parts you are breaking in, why you need zdp break in oil, how long etc...

I am sure there are better videos out there. 1 thing I took away from it (after watching many other past videos)

Once you run it the initial 20 mins or whatever you choose .... Drain the break in oil out of it immediately. New oil filter etc before you start it a 2nd time.

Another thing he stresses, It is critical to have the engine ready to fire & run on a couple revolutions.

For example, if you have the distributor 180 out, or the plug wires installed incorrectly .... you crank on it for 1/2 hour trying to get it to fire. All the assembly lube is wiped off and now the parts are running dry.

You just want to double check your work then go ahead and check it again.

@sniper is correct about having a quick way to shut it down. I have some lengths of jumper wires hanging above the bench with alligator clips on them.

They would work good for running power to your coil, if needed a tug would pull it off shutting down the engine. But they also are very handy for other testing purposes when you rewire the car.

I'm assuming you have the radiator connected, at least with water, and the oil pump primed?   Different opinion on the break in oil..use a high quality oil instead of buying a break in oil.  

• Like 1

With an open carb intake, a simple shop rag in your pocket will allow you to choke out the intake very quickly. Have a fire extinguisher nearby too. It never hurts. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

After 45 years of building engines, the proper break in drive cycle is most critical. It kills me watching garage squad as they spray starting fluid in an engine to start it, run it for 20 secs., then shut it off!!!!! Not to mention, no radiator installed most times.

• Like 3