Motivation

DJK

With winter ending, firewood all cut for next year, still need to split and stack some, having a tough time getting motivated to ready the Cranbrook for another season. I have all the parts, the garage woodstove has been going since early Nov., but with the uncertainty of the economy, I am having a very difficult time. I do go out and check my list periodically and uncover the car just to admire it, but again, the drive isn't there. I think I need a swift kick in the butt.

I got my kick in the butt when I was told my back surgery is in a week. Got my usual spring maintenance done this morning. My Coronet is easier to get in and out of than the truck so it’s my daily driver while I recuperate. It’s tough to get motivated after a long winter. Pick a small project to start and that may inspire you to keep going.

• Like 1

I agree with doing a small project. Pick something that's an easy win. Sometimes I'll do something easy that's been on "the list" for a long time because it's a low priority. Once completed, it feels nice to have it done. I'll keep doing that until it get motivation to tackle something bigger or higher in priority. It's works for me.

Another good one that's essentially free is making minor adjustments, cleaning old grease and dirt off components or hitting grease/lube points. It's maintenance that needs to happen and can usually be done without having to spend money.

Fixing or adjusting minor things that annoy you but aren't critical are another motivator for me. Sometimes I'll just live with minor inconveniences because I have more important things to fix. When I'm low on motivation I'll address one of those items. Things like a sticky latch, loose handle or knob, things like that.

The main thing is to get out in the shop and keep moving!

• Like 2

I have everything I need as far as parts and fluids go, just need the motivation. Earlier this winter I installed a Signal Stat 900 T/S switch w/ 4 Ways that included wiring to the single green indicator bulb with diodes for proper operation. I'll get there!!!

just carry in and place inside the house in every room an item or two designated for the repair of the car.....you will get you motivation...maybe at an octave or two higher than you wish to hear...but the motivation will come....?

This is basically how I acquired one of my Sunbeam Tigers, one of them either it goes or I go from the not so silent partner.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

This is basically how I acquired one of my Sunbeam Tigers, one of them either it goes or I go from the not so silent partner.  

The threat of peace and quiet.... hmm....

Might have been worth it

• Like 1

I get the same way on my own projects. I think a lot of us do. It's usually because I work on so many other people's cars and bikes that I'm burned out by the time I get to mine. What works for me is to just not force it. I'll go do something else like a bike ride to the coast or do some house projects. Another thing I have learned that keeps me motivated is to not jump around. Finish each part that you are doing then move into the next. It's less overwhelming when you have only one thing to focus on. Also, if the state of the economy or world in general is getting to you, my best advice is to turn your tv off. At least don't listen to or watch the news. Put some music on in your garage and wrench away. Good luck, you'll be right back at it in no time. 

• Like 1

Motivation can and often does wean after some time passes during a large project. Simply owning and maintaining an old Mopar is a sizeable project.

I can also relate to your comments about the economy and rising costs. It is getting a bit depressing. Yet I do know how good it makes me feel to jump into my old Mopar. Go get a coffee and relax. Just go out and drive it. People love to see it. I can’t help but feel uplifted by all the strangers who approach me to talk about my old Mopar.  

Whether its my rough looking, beat down ‘38 4 dr Sedan, or my near perfect restored ‘38 coupe, the results are the same.  People are very interested in both. Its rewarding, very cool and quite unique to be out there daily driving one of these old gems. 

These feelings help give me motivation to work on my old Mopars. Yes they are inanimate objects but they do somehow give back for what you put in. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 4:21 PM, keithb7 said:

Motivation can and often does wean after some time passes during a large project.

Truer words were never spoken.  My 65 Cuda has been sidelined for a few year pending a bigger engine swap.  had it all ready to go ans the noise maker I was married to told me we couldn't afford the new motor mounts.  That was in 98, still sitting, but I got the mounts now and once I get the 51 back on the road the Cuda is next.

• Like 2