Adding Fuel Filter to 23” Engine

ChrisMinelli

Hello,

I have a factory stock 23” flathead with no aftermarket fuel filter.  The line goes directly from the tank to the pump to the carburetor.  I had to replace the fuel tank with an aftermarket tank and the aftermarket tank only has a flimsy looking sock for a filter, unlike the Chrysler tank. 

I want to put a Wix 33032 about three inches away from the carburetor between the carburetor and pump.  My questions are:

1. After I measure and cut the line with a tube cutter, do I need to double flare the fuel line ends or will the filter’s clamps be enough?

2.  Is this the best place for a filter?

3.  Is this filter (metal) better than the plastic ones?  I usually like the plastic ones to see the fuel but being so close to the engine I don’t want it to melt.  

Thanks in advance!

No need for all of that, its very low pressure. The supplied spring hose fasteners are ample, for more reassurance, use screw type hose claps instead of the spring type.

Hi Chris. As mentioned by Robert go with metal and as mentioned by maok the pressure isn't enough to cause problems however you can flare the line very slightly if you want to give the clamp something to work against as a back up. The one thing about the location you have chosen is temperature. Vapor lock can happen because of the exhaust manifold heat and just as the fuel pump has a heat shield I would recommend one for the filter. Mine is very simple as I just used two longer bolts in the inner fender panel and bent a thin piece of aluminum to shield the filter. The through bolts from the fender panel hold the shield in place with a couple of nuts. Pretty simple to say the least but I don't have any percolation problems. The filter is just visible along the edge of the picture and the shield surrounds it. Sorry best picture I had. Hope it helps. Dave

filter.jpg

Edited by Happy 46R

I have the AC type that has the glass bowel just inline before the Carb.  I like this becasue i can see if there is any crap in the fuel and then can replace the paper element filter every year.  If you install the enitre metal filter under the frame near the gas tank you can not see if there is any accumuation of junk in the filter also you will have to have a way to clamp off the rubber line or fuel supply line to the filter when you want to chnage it.

Yes and again YES do not use the plastic $1 dollar filter that you can get at the swap meets.

The original filters that were used on the cars were carter's with a metal housing and a ceramic stone filter in the glass bowel so any aftermarket filter will work for our cars it all depends on how authenic looking you want it t be and how much you want to spend onthe filter.

Most fuel pumps have the glass bowel n the bottom of the FP so this would be you primary system to catch junk in the fuel line then the secondary just before the carb.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com   

Here is the ac fuel filter AC GF-48 that I have beenusing on my 39 for the past 30 years. it has a replaceable paper filter and a glass bowel so you can see the sediment.  I have mine just before going into the carb as the las possible catch for any sediment.

I took these pictures off of Ebay cost is $27.50

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.10620c0cf92ff690c942dc2d6d62b7a2.pngimage.png.3aced3e5245558316b910c15434f770f.pngimage.png.f09e9cbf5a86888b4ca905adade194a8.png

1949-1962 Buick Cadillac Chevrolet Oldsmobile Carb Fuel Filter Assembly AC GF-48

55 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

Here is the ac fuel filter AC GF-48 that I have beenusing on my 39 for the past 30 years. it has a replaceable paper filter and a glass bowel so you can see the sediment.  I have mine just before going into the carb as the las possible catch for any sediment.

I took these pictures off of Ebay cost is $27.50

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.10620c0cf92ff690c942dc2d6d62b7a2.pngimage.png.3aced3e5245558316b910c15434f770f.pngimage.png.f09e9cbf5a86888b4ca905adade194a8.png

1949-1962 Buick Cadillac Chevrolet Oldsmobile Carb Fuel Filter Assembly AC GF-48

Can you get the replacement filter element easily?

I found that a readily available fuel filter used on Fords works well.  It's an AC GF434 (comparable to Wix 33046).  It screws into the fuel pump inlet on one side, and has a hose nipple on the other.   Several people have also used this filter and had good results.

33 minutes ago, JerseyHarold said:

GF434

I looked up the filter, couldn't find a micron rating for it.  I am set up to run a Wix 33109 for my EFI setup, 10 micron rating.  Still using the stock oilite pick up filter as a prefilter and the Wix as a post pump filter.  As a note, anyone considering an additional filter, putting it before the pump isn't the best idea, pumps aren't really designed to pull through a filter.  Though if your tank is clean, mine is, and you aren't buying gas at some shady station it might not be a big issue.

I do like the idea of the GF434 installed at the fuel inlet, just wish I knew what micron rating it had.  Probably just a case of me just needing to know, lol.

Nothing wrong with the plastic filters, just don't mount it next to the exhaust.

12 minutes ago, maok said:

Nothing wrong with the plastic filters, just don't mount it next to the exhaust.

Yes we all agree that these are ok to use but not near any heat source such as the manifold becasue of the potential for a fire.  Good to use also the frame rails after the electric fuel pump if you have one installed. If no electric fp then any where along the fuelline is fine but not after fp and close to the manifold.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com