Is the Mopar pro brake tool any good?

FarmerJon
Go to solution Solved by Sam Buchanan,

Anyone have any experience with the new made brake tool that is available?

I have been trying to find the vintage ones, but they are all pretty high priced. Going to be setting up 12" DeSoto brakes on my Plymouth, so figured I need something.Screenshot_20220224-085317.png.397fc1d9c35fd4033eca0a2a099bbad6.png

That's a direct copy of one a forum member made on his bench and posted here several years ago.  3 nuts, a piece of threaded rod and a bit of welding.  You could also drill and tap the spindle nut to accept the threaded rod if you can't weld.  Maybe 3 bucks worth of hardware, a piece of scrap and 15 minutes of assembly time.  Vendors over head and labor rates must really be something.  But I guess rents on Long Island can be quite high.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 2

Moparnopro charges the highest prices he can.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Inspired by Sam B's creation, I made this version last year and it seems to do the trick.

The pair of nuts proved helpful; a lone nut had enough clearance at the threads that the tip would wobble unacceptably at the shoe surface. The two nuts are only joined by the welding at the bar and they are slightly mis-aligned. This takes up the thread play and the tool tip remains stable.

Speaking of stability, I originally had just the one flat bar between the spindle nut and shoe gauge — that, too, was a recipe for floppiness. Triangulating the assembly with a second flat bar did the trick

Thanks, Sam!

47D Brake gauge.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bamfordsgarage said:

...Coming Soon!   The new improved brake tool.  (from Long island) lol ☺️

47D Brake gauge.jpg

• Haha 2