Twosday

Ulu

2/22 is my wife's birthday as well!  She's not too thrilled about completing 60 orbits of the sun, but at least based on your "math", I've still got 6 years to amass sufficient talismans for the real crisis...

Lot of forum members seem to have their happy orbit day in February. Mine’s 02/26/49 or 26/02/49 depending if you use the American or British dating method. I personally like the day/month/year approach. Both dating methods are used in Canada. Leads to confusion though if first two numbers are 12 and under. 

Example: is 03/05/2022 March 5 or May 3 of this year?

Edited by RobertKB

Sure weird how the trip around the sun is way faster later in life. As a kid summers off school felt practically indefinite. Today an entire orbit goes by much quicker. Unless of course you’re waiting for knee surgery. Or house guests to leave lol. Then time drags on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Sure weird how the trip around the sun is way faster later in life. As a kid summers off school felt practically indefinite. Today an entire orbit goes by much quicker. Unless of course you’re waiting for knee surgery. Or house guests to leave lol. Then time drags on!

Each day is shorter relative to your total previous time.    

I always say, “Just be glad you’ve lived this long.” However, I’ll take as many trips around our local star as I can get. Hoping, of course, health stays reasonably decent at the same time. Our old cars help us enjoy the trips! ?

9-15-38

Who, still vertical, can top this?  I grew up sans electricity, radio, roads, toilet paper.  My uncles rolled their own,, brewed their own, drove model A cars. Most today doesn’t even remember black / white TV.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

9-15-38

Who, still vertical, can top this?  I grew up sans electricity, radio, roads, toilet paper.  My uncles rolled their own,, brewed their own, drove model A cars. Most today doesn’t even remember black / white TV.

My dad!  :P

I rememebr B&W TV, moon landings and the Vietnam evac.  Most young 'uns nowdays don't even know what a dial telephone is.

Our 15” b&w TV died in right the middle of the first moon landing. Dad drove us to 5 miles to Target and bought us a new 17” (!) b&w for a whopping $50.

Duluth had the second Target store in the entire nation. It was only a couple miles from the Air Force base where we lived, and we got to watch the moon landing on 20 televisions at once, including many color TVs which we could not afford.

The transmissions from the moon were black-and-white, by the way but on a color TV they looked vaguely blue and white.

Shortly there after dad got transferred.

We moved to a radar station on the Canadian border where you could not get good color reception, and there was only one Canadian channel available in any event. So we never bought a color TV until about 1974 After we had moved to Utah.

Edited by Ulu

I remember going to my uncle's house to watch the moon landing, I was 4 then.  We didn't have a TV, but my uncle did.

I used to have a black and white TV in the garage so I could listen to baseball games when I was out there, but alas, they don't broadcast on those frequencies anymore so away it went.

I've used an outhouse, lol. 

4 hours ago, Ulu said:

Our 15” b&w TV died in right the middle of the first moon landing. Dad drove us to 5 miles to Target and bought us a new 17” (!) b&w for a whopping $50.

Duluth had the second Target store in the entire nation

Sorry duluth was target #4. St Louis park was the second and crystal the third. 

I remember when Kmart was opening a new store, no idea the number, in my hometown back in 82ish.  500+ people showed up to apply for about 70 jobs.  Nowadays, Kmart is almost extinct.  My mom was a fan of cheap shopping. 

Edited by Sniper

9 hours ago, Ulu said:

Maybe it was the second one started but the 4th finished?

In any event, it was brand new and very popular.

Could be. I just know it is T4. I spent most of my youth shopping at T8 which has been knocked down and replaced. Can you tell I work for HQ?

11 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Could be. I just know it is T4. I spent most of my youth shopping at T8 which has been knocked down and replaced. Can you tell I work for HQ?

we moved up from the hillside area to the Air Force Base after the store was completed, so I actually wasn’t there during the construction, and I only know what I read about it online somewhere.

But we shopped there. Quite a bit in fact. I bought so many school clothes at target that the girls next-door referred to me as the target special.

I’m afraid I’m at that age too, where I’m seeing jobs that I worked on being remodeled for the second and third time, and being demolished as well.

On 2/25/2022 at 5:46 AM, pflaming said:

9-15-38

That's hard to top when one reaches your vintage, where those things even evented yet when you were little...??

The burnt orange, avocado green decade.

I swear that picture is from childhood home Tom....circa 1972.

48D

• Haha 2

My folks had furniture like that back in in the early ‘60s.

Then the USAF started moving us around the map once or twice a year, and they sold almost all of it.

It cost too much to ship.

When we actually got out of a motel and into some house, my folks would buy a bunch of cheap new furniture, then sell it all for pennies when we had to move.

The only furniture we kept was light weight things that came apart for shipping. The government allowance would only pay to ship a certain weight. Furniture for a family of 4 weighed much more.