Back Among The Living. Reborn ‘38 Plymouth Sedan

keithb7

Today was my first pleasure cruise of 2022. My 1938 Plymouth is back up with her newly rebuilt 237 ci 25” long engine. 

“How’s it drive with the new bigger engine?” you might ask.  Fantastic!  The is the best performing flathead powered car I’ve driven. The improved power to weight ratio seems quite good. There’s noticeably more torque. I rarely need to use 1st gear any more. I’m working her a little harder on the local hills today. Where others passed me before, i can easily overcome them if I want to. Without down shifting, up hill, in several examples. 3rd gear at 1:1 with a 4.11 rear end and a 237 engine is a sweet little package. 

I reset the valves this morning. I dialled in the timing and dwell. She’s smooth! Holy man, she starts right up very quickly. Smooth running, clean, no smoke.  Very good power and performance. Cool running temps. Great 6V generator and throttle performance.

I rebuilt the steering gear box while I was waiting for the machine shop. It steers good, better response.  Hard to find much to complain about.  

I do confess, it appears I may have forgotten to put thread sealant on the rear main oil galley plug. I have an oil leak below this area.  It’s in there pretty deep! Tranny would have to come out. Clutch off. Flywheel off. Support rear of block. Remove bell housing. Then remove the galley plug. Apply thread sealer and reassemble all. Phew!  Maybe next winter. Maybe in a month. We’ll see. 

The odometer is just about to roll over 100,000 miles.  Good timing. 

Long may you run….

D22C6A4E-E829-4B94-A2E7-550F0A1B6F53.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 12

Yep, being able to drive off most of the time in 2nd gear is great, even with a small 218" (25") engine in my '37 mc Dodge.

batch_P2200268.jpg.d0095d169a9edb1d09c7d5353511eb33.jpg

4 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I do confess, it appears I may have forgotten to put thread sealant on the rear main oil galley plug. I have an oil leak below this area.  It’s in there pretty deep! Tranny would have to come out. Clutch off. Flywheel off. Support rear of block. Remove bell housing. Then remove the galley plug. Apply thread sealer and reassemble all. Phew!  Maybe next winter. Maybe in a month. We’ll see. 

The odometer is just about to roll over 100,000 miles.  Good timing. 

Long may you run….

D22C6A4E-E829-4B94-A2E7-550F0A1B6F53.jpeg

If it's not that bad I wouldn't let it bother you.  I've only seen brand new cars that didn't drip a little oil.  Catch pan slid underneath, voila, problem solved for now. I hope mine runs without problems, will be about a year.