Mystery bracket on frame, left rear, in front of wheel (Panhard rod bracket?)

Racer-X-
Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

Here are the pix of it.  

large.bracket-viewed-through-wheel-arch.

large.bracket-viewed-from-below.jpg.e202

Is this for a panhard rod?  Did this car originally have one?   The current rear axle is not original.   And we'll be replacing it with a late 1960s-early 1970's B Body 8.75" rear end soon.  

On one hand, it might be handy to remove that bracket and use that space for the fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator for the LS1 engine.  I wouldn't need such long supply and return lines from the tank if I put the filter there. 

On the other hand, with 255/60R15 tires going on when we put the final axle swap in, a panhard rod to keep things where they belong under cornering loads might be a really good idea™  and I might want to leave the bracket there so I can fab up a panhard and attach it there.

Edited by Racer-X-

Here in Oz we never had a proper DeSoto or Chrysler as both these brands here were essentially just Plymouths chassis with grille & badge changes so the rear panhard bar was not used.........what I'd like to know is did the DeSoto & Chryslers that used the panhard bar have the same front/rear bushes and spring hangers as the Dodge & Plymouths or did the DeSoto/Chryslers use a more pliable rear spring shackle setup that necessitated the use of the panhard bar?...........andyd

You guys here are AWESOME!   Thanks to everyone who posted, and especially thanks for the pix. 

I'm not sure if I'll go with the original panhard, or fab up a new custom one, but I will definitely be putting a panhard on Elvis.  Those springs didn't look like they were entirely adequate for lateral locating the axle, especially with wider more modern tires, and a panhard will help keep the car centered over the rear axle. It'll also help locate/relocate the rear roll center (it's at the center of the panhard, exactly half way between the two ends for one with an odd shape like this one).