Trying to find an old Plymouth dealership.

ccudahy
Go to solution Solved by TodFitch,

So, I bought my 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe (P15C) Club Coupe in August '20. The gentleman I purchased it from didn't remember much of the history of the car or when he got it. I learned that a MoPar owner could send info into Chrysler (can't bring myself to say Stellantis) and get a copy of the build card. I put my request in, October '20. I finally got my card emailed to me yesterday. I was curious is the dealership that ordered the car was still in business. I came up with nothing. So started doing more research.

This is what I know. On the build card its says it was assembled in LA and Frisco Motor Sales for the dealer and Miami Arizona for destination. There was no Frisco Motor Sales in Miami, AZ. I searched the 1946-1950 Globe-Miami Directories. There was a T&M Garage in Miami that was a Plymouth dealer. I found a Frisco dealership in Texas. Tried talking to them about their history all they want is to sell me a new car. Tried looking up in Frisco, TX directories from the 1930-1950s and could not find any directories for that time period. Tried looking in the Frisco newspaper from same time period didn't see any car ads. The National DeSoto Club had a list of old dealerships in US, hoping one might also sell Plymouths, nothing on that list.

What I would like to know is, does anyone remember, heard, or know of a Frisco Motor Sales and where was it located? Thanks for any help!

Edited by ccudahy

• Solution

I would be inclined to focus on the location given on the build card. Is it possible that the T&M Garage in Miami, AZ was doing business as Frisco Motors (or vise versa)? If so then there should be some legal record of that either in microfilms of old local newspapers (legal notices) or with the city, county or state (not sure how Arizona deals with "doing business as" paperwork).

Microfilms of old newspapers should also have any car dealer ads. So regardless of the entries in the old business directories if a dealer was using Frisco as a name there ought to be an ad in there.

Copper mining was a big business in Arizona in that era so I would not be surprised if the Miami-Globe area was more populated and wealthy back then that they are now and could support at least one daily newspaper.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TodFitch said:

Microfilms of old newspapers should also have any car dealer ads. So regardless of the entries in the old business directories if a dealer was using Frisco as a name there ought to be an ad in there.

Thank you for the tip. Did Arizona newspaper search, found 1 ad with all the MoPar dealers for Arizona for 1950. They were in Clifton, AZ (127 miles away from Miami, AZ) near New Mexico border.

1891291454_Screenshot2022-02-03154356.jpg.369bdf80cb24d528027a59789a5c2f8f.jpg

Edited by ccudahy