Finally woke up

Tired iron

My 200 dollar 1950 meadowbrook finally coughed to life. It had sat for 30 some years up lake chelan where I live. I brought it back down a year ago on a barge and drug it home. 

Just started working on it this winter. The head had to come off to free a bunch of stuck valves.  I rebuilt the carb, replaced the coil, and had to drop and recondition the gas tank.

Just today for the first time, cranked her over and now she runs...well barely. I'll set points, time and adj valves tomorrow. 

All that smoke you see is about a gallon of penetrating oil!

• Like 10

Thanks, folks. My plan is to get it mechanically sound first and completely re-do the interior, which is totally shot. The only body work I am doing is replacing rusted out floor pans. I am going to leave the exterior as is...funky old original paint has a great patina and is a great way to embarrass my kids.

Step by step...

• Like 2

Good job!  How did you free up the valves?  All the exhaust valves were stuck in our Terraplane when we first got it.  I pulled the head off, filled a spray bottle with Marvel Mystery Oil, then used the hand crank to turn the engine.  I sprayed the stem on all the valves that stuck open, then played whack-a-mole with the stuck valves until they freed up.  Then I pulled them all out, cleaned the stems, and ran a bore brush through the guides.  One guide pulled out with the valve, but went back in fairly easily.  Reinstalled everything, and presto, the engine ran, and ran "OK" for the next 14 years until I got around to replacing all the valves and guides and grinding the seats.  A testament to how rugged and "me-proof" old engines can be.

I did a similar strategy,  but didnt pull them once I got them loose. My goal right now is just to get it running and later I'll think about pulling it for a rebuild. 

Speaking of stuck springs, my first video clip showed it running but barely.  Now that its turned up (mostly) it runs so much better.

But, running it for awhile had revealed next steps: water pump is leaking and, really bad news, I'm puking oil out of the bottom cover plate where the fluid drive is located.

Tired, good luck with this car. my first car back in 1966 was a 1950 dodge meadowbrook with the famous earl scheib $19.95 paint job. some kind of horrible green.it was a hand me down from my grandfather and ran great except for burning oil quite a bit.love the dashboard on that car, and the big back seat got some use as we still had drive in movies back then.      capt den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 1:41 PM, Tired iron said:

I did a similar strategy,  but didnt pull them once I got them loose. My goal right now is just to get it running and later I'll think about pulling it for a rebuild. 

Speaking of stuck springs, my first video clip showed it running but barely.  Now that its turned up (mostly) it runs so much better.

But, running it for awhile had revealed next steps: water pump is leaking and, really bad news, I'm puking oil out of the bottom cover plate where the fluid drive is located.

That doesnt sound bad!