Right rear axle or drum vibration

Kilroy

Just purchased a  ‘47 Royal. Only issue at the moment is vibration coming from right rear of the car above 25-30 miles/hr. Eliminated the wheel and the tire ( car on the lift without wheel). I am perplexed as there seems to be no excessive end play or side to side movement when I tug on the drum. Anyone experienced this sort of thing? Could it be a bent axle or something? Any advice on troubleshooting and the fix is greatly appreciated.

AF973480-EF4B-4F49-98B9-4592DD0A8EDC.jpeg

The drum hub is tapered and sits on a tapered axle. The the big nut tightens the drum to the axle shaft. There should be no movement between drum and nut.

The entire axle shaft has about .008" of bearing clearance. To investigate further a couple of things can be done. Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen at the bearing, right behind the brake backing plate. Sound gritty? Bearing.

Remove nut. Pull drum. Remove shoes. Loosen backing plate mounting nuts. Pull axle and bearing out.  Have a good look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidevalvepete said:

Very nice looking vehicle. That burgandy color really suits this era. Good luck with getting on top of this. Lots of good advice here.

Thanks, I am becoming aware of that., rather quickly.. and I sincerely appreciate all the priceless knowledge..

10 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

The drum hub is tapered and sits on a tapered axle. The the big nut tightens the drum to the axle shaft. There should be no movement between drum and nut.

The entire axle shaft has about .008" of bearing clearance. To investigate further a couple of things can be done. Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen at the bearing, right behind the brake backing plate. Sound gritty? Bearing.

Remove nut. Pull drum. Remove shoes. Loosen backing plate mounting nuts. Pull axle and bearing out.  Have a good look.

Keith, thanks for the advice, will do as you suggest…

Just to clarify, you had it on a lift without out the tire and wheel.  Then you ran it in gear at what speed?  Is it possible that you have a driveshaft vibration that is evidenced at the side with no dampening wheel mass?   The heavy side won't move as easily due to u-joint or shaft vibration.  Just a shot in the dark.

53 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Just to clarify, you had it on a lift without out the tire and wheel.  Then you ran it in gear at what speed?  Is it possible that you have a driveshaft vibration that is evidenced at the side with no dampening wheel mass?   The heavy side won't move as easily due to u-joint or shaft vibration.  Just a shot in the dark.

Yes, my first thought after a short first drive in the car was the driveshaft, so I put the car on the lift to check that., ran car in third gear roughly 30mph., it was immediately apparent that RR was shaking …removed wheel and checked balance on the machine ( I had just balanced and installed new tires earlier in the week anyway) ran again and it was still vibrating just as bad… will check the bearing and the axle as soon as I get a puller tomorrow…

Did you run it with the tire on and watch for run out of wheel/tire?

I redid my brakes and did not get the rear hub on the tapered  axle to sit straight on the axle, had a big wobble of tire and wheel even after tightened to torque specs.

Removed tire/wheel/hub and cleaned/filed the axle face where the key is and also filed rough edges of the key.

Problem solved.

Just a thought.

DJ

Sounds like a bearing but also suggest that when you remove the brake drum, install a nice new piece of keyway odr at least check that the old one hasn't had some movement and is allowing the drum to move.....from memory its 5/16th square keyway material, any engineering shop or decent parts place should have it, usually sold by the foot............good luck with the puller..........and that is a nice looking car.........andyd  

If you find that the axel bearing is bad you should probably replace the other side also.  These bearings don't have grease fittings so they are often over looked during normal maintenance.  When I pulled the axels on the 47 P15 both sides were really bad.  The bearings were rusted and fell apart.  Don't forget to replace the inner and outer seals while you are at it.

There are two small bolts on the axle housing near the backing plate. You remove the botl and then use your thumb to push in  greae to grese the inner side of the bearing. Do not use a grease gun it will force to much greae into the bearing and cause an oil leak. refer to your sevice manual it will indicate this info.

i have these on my 39 Desoto.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@al.com