It's in the Magic Parts Book

Bryan

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

while the lift is a point of interest to some degree, unless you v-block the cam with a degree wheel and record the duration and other lobe data....it is not very useful but just a note of interest.

I'm not going into that detail, just comparing the two cams that I have, and noticed the lobe height is different in my primitive measuring system. I could buy a cam grinding setup and grind my own. Maybe I could start up a business.

This reminds me of when I was reading stereo magazines or internet articles on trying to find a decent consumer system years ago.  The best 10 systems - $10K, $8K, 6K when you're looking for the $800 - $1200 range.    Oh you poor pitiful creature, why don't you buy the 12K system?

ah but it were just that simple...copy grinding would not be involved, development however is way way deep....

This is apples and oranges...and while castings are one thing...one engine line I have a bit of hands-on list their cam profile by cut marks.  Depending on location between what lobes and how many cut lines there are identifies the cam to the owner as original cam grind was established.  Quite a nice system and way ahead of many other in the ability to read a cam without degree wheel and v-blocks.  This covers some 4 decades of profiles.

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

This reminds me of when I was reading stereo magazines or internet articles on trying to find a decent consumer system years ago.  The best 10 systems - $10K, $8K, 6K when you're looking for the $800 - $1200 range.    Oh you poor pitiful creature, why don't you buy the 12K system?

many folks are so tone deaf and suffer such a degree of hearing loss that any high dollar audio system is wasted on them.....and then we will not include the racket that ensues as they attempt to sing along...at that time the system value is where possibly the spouse would pay someone to steal the system and get it out of the house.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

ah but it were just that simple...copy grinding would not be involved, development however is way way deep....

This is apples and oranges...and while castings are one thing...one engine line I have a bit of hands-on list their cam profile by cut marks.  Depending on location between what lobes and how many cut lines there are identifies the cam to the owner as original cam grind was established.  Quite a nice system and way ahead of many other in the ability to read a cam without degree wheel and v-blocks.  This covers some 4 decades of profiles.

Do you actually think about what you are saying and whom you are talking to?   I was being sarcastic on both points. You should have been on the forum long enough to know a lot of people just don't have the experience or equipment to do that type of work. I've overhauled one engine in my lifetime when I was 20 something.  Having to study to make sure I don't screw this one up.  People are starting to comment more on either "why don't you have this",  or I could have gotten it cheaper, or an experienced person knows, or some other non-helpful mess.  

in a manner of speaking yes, I was not out to slam anyone for what they posted or why and as often without an emogee to denote sarcasm, one never knows the intended gist of a post.  I did not ever figure you to buy the machinery needed to grind a cam....and why the reply as to NOT THAT SIMPLE and yes copy grinding would be quick and easy, development of a cam profile for specific range of operation so no walk in the park.   I try not to criticize anyones build or approach...but as for the other cam fact as in marking for later interpertion without gauging, that is a plus and for sure a value to the end user down the years when building an engine, he needs but know the cut count and location.  Again, apples and oragnes but an insite into how others do things. 

14 minutes ago, Bryan said:

You're starting to sound like DodgeB4ya with your "it's not very useful".  Oh, that's common.   If only...

not to berate but maybe you could do a bit more to denote your intent on your post, you made remark to sarcasm above but without an emogee to denote intent, most replies are just words in a line of words....hard to read and understand what all posters are trying to say at times.  Again, not in your face in any manner but if joking, let that be noted as such.  But surely if one or more folks find issue, odds are there is an issue.   I find it odd you post, remove the post and then blast the forum for not seeing your intent and well if for no other way to say it, took your ball and bat and went home.  Whereas a post to make you earlier post more clean would have been the better means to inform the forum at large.  Right now, many here see a poster that got upset for a post that was likely not well received by one but at no time can one poster dictate the view of the forum at large.  You threw in the towel early.

I haven't been in a good mood lately . Been looking for useable answers on different topics for a while, or just posting something that I think people might find useable or interesting, and end up feeling like I'm getting dumped on.    My wife reminded me I need to mark stuff as sarcasm.. had that on FB also, people take it literally.    Been cooped up in this place because of Covid, don't want that mess, and the only thing happening is my work on the car, when the weather is decent or I'm not sick.

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I haven't been in a good mood lately . Been looking for useable answers on different topics for a while, or just posting something that I think people might find useable or interesting, and end up feeling like I'm getting dumped on.    My wife reminded me I need to mark stuff as sarcasm.. had that on FB also, people take it literally.    Been cooped up in this place because of Covid, don't want that mess, and the only thing happening is my work on the car, when the weather is decent or I'm not sick.

I understand...covid and winter has many folks feeling couped up and cabin fever setting in.  I assure you that you are NEVER or will EVER BE ALONE on the never ending search for specific data.  As a person that modifies and upgrades many different cars of many makes.....a part could well be of use to me GIVEN I had a few of the actual measurements and such.  The parts world today is THE COMPUTER MUST SAY IT FITS..or you get nothing else for your efforts.  One such item of late for me to find replacements as they are NLA I was about to give up when I found a company listing such parts by specs.  I was able to find a cross number that albeit with a little turning in the lathe for length...was spot on in application.  This data if given with the part number would go so far in resolving such issues.

Forums can be a challenge. There really is such a multitude of different personalities that are here for different reasons. But we all have cars in common.

Pretty common that some personalities will clash and some sparks fly .... Same time all the different versions of information is priceless  :)

Sometimes I wish I keep my personal feelings more in check, to be honest the older I get the less I care.

I just got off a 3 month ban from another forum. We got in a argument about jack stand safety.  I mentioned the semi recent recall on harbor freight jack stands, posted the article on it.

The old timer there accused me of spreading fud. He been using his jack stands for over 20 years with no problems .... That was my point, the old ones are fine the new China junk you need to be careful with.  He kept up so I moved on to poking fun at his screen name for amusement.  I apologized to the moderator and thanked them for the time out and not a perma ban.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

You're starting to sound like DodgeB4ya with your "it's not very useful".  Oh, that's common.   If only...

Just saying forums are like a large family .... I sure would not want to be a moderator   :D

Without seeing your post on the cam. My personal feelings ... I know nothing about them.

I know that awesome mechanics use a degree wheel and set them up ... They select the lift & duration according to what rpm they want to make power in.

They select a gear ratio for the rear end based on the hp of the engine and the cam ... it all plays in together.

Honestly this all means nothing to me. I expect a cam to be installed and the dots on the timing chain gears to line up, then use a timing light to set the timing.

I personally would first choose a cam manufacturer or supplier. Then I would talk to customer support. Explain the engine, the usage for the engine, the transmission & the rear end gear ratio. What sort of driving conditions I wanted from the vehicle. And take their advise.

You now have a baseline to start from ... You may want to change your carburation, gearing etc afterwards ... maybe even the cam ... but at least now you have a real life base line starting point and now you want to change this or that behavior.

I think choosing a cam is a personal choice. Maybe like choosing a wife. You will get different opinions.

Reminds me of the Hank Williams JR song trashy women.

Well you should have seen the look on the face of my Dad and Mom
When I showed up at the door with my date for the senior prom
They said, Pardon us son, she ain't no kid,
That's a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Parton wig
I said, I know, ain't she great, Dad?
That's the kind I dig.
See I like my women just a tad on the trashy side

Asking about a cam is like asking about what oil to use.

25 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Forums can be a challenge. There really is such a multitude of different personalities that are here for different reasons. But we all have cars in common.

Pretty common that some personalities will clash and some sparks fly .... Same time all the different versions of information is priceless  :)

Without seeing your post on the cam. My personal feelings ... I know nothing about them.

I know that awesome mechanics use a degree wheel and set them up ... They select the lift & duration according to what rpm they want to make power in.

I'm calming down... just getting antsy. Can't go anywhere much because of big C and the weather sucks.  

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Sometimes I wish I keep my personal feelings more in check, to be honest the older I get the less I care.

I just got off a 3 month ban from another forum. We got in a argument about jack stand safety.  I mentioned the semi recent recall on harbor freight jack stands, posted the article on it.

The old timer there accused me of spreading fud. He been using his jack stands for over 20 years with no problems .... That was my point, the old ones are fine the new China junk you need to be careful with.  He kept up so I moved on to poking fun at his screen name for amusement.  I apologized to the moderator and thanked them for the time out and not a perma ban.

Just saying forums are like a large family .... I sure would not want to be a moderator   :D

They select a gear ratio for the rear end based on the hp of the engine and the cam ... it all plays in together.

Honestly this all means nothing to me. I expect a cam to be installed and the dots on the timing chain gears to line up, then use a timing light to set the timing.

I personally would first choose a cam manufacturer or supplier. Then I would talk to customer support. Explain the engine, the usage for the engine, the transmission & the rear end gear ratio. What sort of driving conditions I wanted from the vehicle. And take their advise.

You now have a baseline to start from ... You may want to change your carburation, gearing etc afterwards ... maybe even the cam ... but at least now you have a real life base line starting point and now you want to change this or that behavior.

I think choosing a cam is a personal choice. Maybe like choosing a wife. You will get different opinions.

Reminds me of the Hank Williams JR song trashy women.

Well you should have seen the look on the face of my Dad and Mom
When I showed up at the door with my date for the senior prom
They said, Pardon us son, she ain't no kid,
That's a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Parton wig
I said, I know, ain't she great, Dad?
That's the kind I dig.
See I like my women just a tad on the trashy side

Asking about a cam is like asking about what oil to use.

Great song reference.  But not hank , Confederate Railroad.    

different strokes for sure!    

• Like 1

On another forum I frequent(non automotive) since I am such a sarcastic SOB I have used something like this with the notation “Sarcasm Alert” posted near it.

image.jpeg.b5c376c83f198012e46035718c65325c.jpeg

Seems to help clarify my intent.  Sometimes….. 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

You came back Bryan, explaining your feelings. That’s a good thing. Some folks out there in this world refuse to give in. They’ll fight and fight. Tappity tap tap tap on the keyboard. Often known as the “keyboard warrior”. 

I try to sure and check all emotions at the door when I come in here. Or anywhere else on the internet. I can moan and groan to my wife but it doesn’t go past her. Way too many ways to get upset on the internet.  For nothing. It does no good. 

Chin up. Spring is coming. You got a great project on the go. You’ll feel like a million when it flashes up the first time. 

• Like 1

Bryan...I am a good person on this board...have spent hundreds of hours over the years posting hopefully helpful information. I have taken hundreds of tech photo's to help people like yourself.

Sometimes people just keep asking and wanting more and more and more info.

I can be brief at times because of people not taking other avenues at times searching for information...possibly much better info at that.

Maybe I am at the end of the road here offering help...you are the first person that has blown up on me...

Holy moley....guess my simple direct to the point  statement on your cam hub led you to post this...thanks

You're starting to sound like DodgeB4y....."

Dodgeb4ya, aka Rob, you are probably one of, if not the most, helpful person on this forum. Please don’t get dissolutioned. Your knowledge of these old Mopars is encyclopedic and you have helped countless people, including me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Bryan...I am a good person on this board...have spent hundreds of hours over the years posting hopefully helpful information. I have taken hundreds of tech photo's to help people like yourself.

Sometimes people just keep asking and wanting more and more and more info.

I can be brief at times because of people not taking other avenues at times searching for information...possibly much better info at that.

Maybe I am at the end of the road here offering help...you are the first person that has blown up on me...

Holy moley....guess my simple direct to the point  statement on your cam hub led you to post this...thanks

You're starting to sound like DodgeB4y....."

I know you have been helpful and know about a lot. I wouldn't stop posting just because of me.   You caught me at the long end of a bunch of little things that were aggravating.  Been posting progress on my tear down, would have questions on stuff that I would interject.. , recently nobody would say squat.  I don't like to make a new post every time I have a question.   Then I went and bid on the silly D24 Parts List on Ebay, started at $25, ended up costing $72. Oh well, let's go broke.  Then, I got to looking for the part # for the clutch sleeve, my rear end, the camshafts I had..nothing in the Parts List.   I have Sniper tell me, oh I could buy it at Rock Auto for $25.  Nothing wrong with that, just info.  Then I spend an hour carefully measuring the 2 cams I have, post the pictures,  and get, it's in the Parts Book.    I bounced the Parts Book off my living room wall.   Glad I didn't knock a hole in it.   It's not that what you said was that bad, just the wrong timing.   This is after being couped up in this place with Covid, bad weather and being sick off and on (not Covid), and maybe getting 5 hours of work in the whole week.  I know people post without using search, and ask a lot of silly questions that could be researched, and some post misinformation (that definitely needs to be corrected), but for us that just post items that maybe is common knowledge, I would be careful not to pooh it as common, not useful, everybody knows that, etc.  For us of little knowledge and experience, it's disheartening to post something you think is great info..and it gets dissed as being yeah everybody knows that.   Continue to correct me and others if we post something wrong. Keep posting great info and replies to questions. Don't just stop because of me.

• Like 1