Steel Wheels which clear just about all Brakes

Loren

I put Chrysler 12 inch brakes on my 49 Business Coupe and found they ever so slightly bump the stock wheels.

That was unexpected as the Chrysler wheels I rejected looked exactly the same as the familiar Plymouth wheels. ( a costly mistake which kept me from driving the car for weeks )

What I finally ended up with are U.S. Wheels p/n 65-5612, these are 6 inches wide vs the stock 4.5 inches. They fit under the fenders and happily don't rub anything with 205/70x15 tires. You will have to drill them for the "Pilot Pin". I had an old drum which had the pilot pin knocked off, so I ground the remainder off and took a hammer and a pin punch and knocked the stub out. Then I used it as a drill guide to drill the wheel. One thing that offended me about these wheels is that they are dependent on the lug bolts to center the wheel ( they are made this way so that they will fit other vehicles which use 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern but with the larger center hole. The lugs fit tightly so they do center properly and wonder of wonders they are made to a very high standard of being true. Apparently the centers can be welded in in either direction, then the lugs are drilled and chamfered. Even though they have a part number these are made to order and that is why they took so long to get. The p/n specifies the back space and everything else except color.

Lastly you won't be using your dog dish hub caps. Stock Plymouth accessory wheel covers do fit and unless you've got a real sharp eye you won't notice the wheels are wider.

Slow speed steering effort is increased but not enough to worry about and certainly less than my modern pick up which has power steering!

22F46F48-58EB-4D9D-8542-10650CAD4826_1_201_a.jpeg

241A3100-5966-4C25-9795-5CAD8E895A6D_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1