37 plymouth trunk hinge

SteveR

On my 37 Plymouth the LH trunk hinge is broken, a common fault. My RH is fine and looks good so to spend $200+ for a pair is completely out of my humble retirement budget. Does anyone have one as a spare.

I may have one, however the reproductions are better than the originals.   37 and 38 are the same.  

given previous experience shipping from Canada to England, $200 for a pair is good value.    

7 hours ago, dpollo said:

given previous experience shipping from Canada to England, $200 for a pair is good value.  

The problem I have is retirement and living on a pension. At the end of the money there is still some of the month left. £200 pounds is a lot.

I’ve got a decent spare pair here. Unsure which is left or right tho.  Some casting numbers are on the back. Maybe we can ID?

A0F7D4E1-A26D-4B7B-8A61-CBB595FE4D72.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I’ve got a decent spare pair here. Unsure which is left or right tho.  Some casting numbers are on the back. Maybe we can ID?

i believe it will say L H Butt LH Leaf 

16 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

No LH or RH markings. Here are both L&R hinges beside each other. 

Hmm, I'll have to do some digging. Do you have a parts book?

28 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

No LH or RH markings. Here are both L&R hinges beside each other. 

I've checked a few photos online and it looks like the 742884 is R.H. and 742885 is L.H. I may have to wait until we have some daylight and remove mine from the car to make sure. Thanks Keith 

Just now, SteveR said:

I've checked a few photos online and it looks like the 742884 is R.H. and 742885 is L.H. I may have to wait until we have some daylight and remove mine from the car to make sure. Thanks Keith 

Stupid me R.H = 742854

L.H = 742855

What do you expect when its 5:30 am here

I forget which way it goes but there is a pattern of the part #s like the evens are always LH. Hopefully someone can chime in on that

Edited by Young Ed

15 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I forget which way it goes but there is a pattern of the part #s like the evens are always LH. Hopefully someone can chime in on that

Thanks Ed, We have established the part numbers but now need to see which one is left & right.

I'm from Minnesota, Edina how much snow do you have? Temps here will be 44deg F today

7 hours ago, SteveR said:

Thanks Ed, We have established the part numbers but now need to see which one is left & right.

I'm from Minnesota, Edina how much snow do you have? Temps here will be 44deg F today

The even # part number should be the right hand. We don't have a crazy amount this year. We had a couple random warm days that melted what we had. Supposed to get a couple inches each day all weekend though! Let me know if you ever come back up here.

• Thanks 1

I have just taken the trunk hinges off on my 37 Plym. Thy are marked 'LEEF R.H'. and 'LEEF L.H'.

From what I have heard from others on various sites the 37, 38, & 39 hinges are all the same. It then looks like the L.H. 742855 hinge is the one I am looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can believe it, my left trunk hinge broke tonight. I just sent you my only spare. Arrgh....

Lol. And so it goes. Such is life.?

Edited by keithb7

I have sent lots of people spare parts but only when I have two spares of something. I always keep one back and always keep the best ones. 

Very nice of you to help Steve out but I always like to keep a spare. I thought I might have spare hinges for you from when I owned a ‘38 Chrysler, but I checked and guess they went with the car when I sold it. 

I just checked eBay and there are lots of those hinges listed ranging from reasonable to ridiculous in price. 

Edited by RobertKB

The hinges have been sitting here in my stash for 3 years. No use. Who knows how long, before I took ownership of them? I think to myself sometimes, do I really need to store all these spare part parts forever with no use? Might as well ease up and let a few go to help others. Lol. Then boom....Out of nowhere. Struck down by fate.

That’s fate, aka Murphy’s law. I have a lot of spare parts, most of which I will likely never use but once in a while………there it is when needed. My biggest concern is the parts will likely all get tossed when I’m no longer around to need them. Most people, including relates, will have no idea what they are.  Probably the fate of a lot of good parts. 

11 hours ago, RobertKB said:

That’s fate, aka Murphy’s law. I have a lot of spare parts, most of which I will likely never use but once in a while………there it is when needed. My biggest concern is the parts will likely all get tossed when I’m no longer around to need them. Most people, including relates, will have no idea what they are.  Probably the fate of a lot of good parts. 

You mention Murphy's Law. Oldodge41's Law is: Murphy was an optimist! Yeah, my luck is that bad!

13 hours ago, keithb7 said:

If you can believe it, my left trunk hinge broke tonight. I just sent you my only spare. Arrgh....

Lol. And so it goes. Such is life.?

What a bummer! I've got a spare now but its the broken one I just replaced.  Hopefully you'll be able to find another one a lot easier than me here in England. I'm really sorry to hear that. :o(

No big deal @SteveR my ‘38 Plym is a survivor.  Not the prettiest. I have been focusing on powertrain.  She’s a driver. Not the miss daisy type. 

Rebuilt engine

rebuilt transmission & clutch

rebuilt cooling system

fuel system

rebuilt brakes

Rebuilt axles

Rewired the electrical system

rebuilt driveline

Ect. You know, just the frivolous stuff. Lol.  No bodywork, trim, paint, minimal interior work. A broken trunk hinge is just a mild annoyance at this point in the game.