48 Desoto lighted lady

Frank Gooz

I thought the light up lucite lady was for 1942 DeSoto only?

Not sure...I know someone had made a few fairly good repo's but were slightly yellow.

Certainly a very delicate and rare part to find in nice condition.

Okay, here's the answer.  The plastic light-up lady hood ornament came out in 1942 models, both Deluxe and Custom.  In the post war S-11 models, the Custom models had the plastic ornament, but may have also had the chrome lady.  The DeLuxe models were all chrome.  I have both types for my 48 DeSoto Deluxe.  I also have the bracket that screws onto the bottom of the base that holds the light bulb for the plastic ornament.  I have one complete plastic lady, and some pieces of another.  They are very hard to find in good condition.  i think someone reproduced a few of them at some point, but that was some 25 to 30 years ago!  

• Like 3

This would be easy to make on a 3D printer, or to create a casting in lucite.  I'm surprised no one has tried this yet.  Same for the later amber 49-50 DeSoto face hood ornament.  I'd like to get a better one for my 50, his nose has a ding in it from a rock or something.

Not sure about your neck of the woods but our local public library has a 3D printer as does our high school. Might be an opportunity to touch base with the shop teacher, yep I am that old that we had a shop at school, to see if they would want to try something like this?  Just a thought.  Dave

• Like 1