Hubcap spring clips

5 hours ago, Greg W 41 Dodge WC said:

The rims I bought from http://www.wheelvintiques.com for my 41 didn’t include spring clips for the hub caps. The spring clips are available on eBay. I used a 5/8” tall threaded spacer to bring them up to the correct height. 

Sweet! Nice solution. Must of been a little tricky figuring out getting those standoffs in just the right positions before welding?  Do the oem hubcaps fit well and go on and off easily? I'd like to do the same on my 39 Plymouth's rear rims which I had custom width wheels made by the Wheelsmith. I'm now running a smoothie cap which looks OK, but would be better if I could use my oem Plymouth hubcaps.

DSCN2728.JPG

• Like 1

I was lucky to have an original rim, complete with springs, for my spare tire. From it I was able to determine that I needed a finish height that was approximately 1/2” above the top surface of the rim (this determined the 5/8 spacer) and a pattern that gave me an approximately 7” diameter. I bought a $3 7”embroidery hoop and then spaced the springs evenly as a jig. Once they are welded you can flex them to get a fit that is as tight as the original. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just wondering if Colorado went through with the wheels, and if it worked out.  I'm looking at doing the same thing. 15x6/5x4.5.  If so, what clips did you youse. I have 7.5" cherry caps that need clips.  an I got no wheels.  going on a 54 c1b6 truck.