V8 swap

pflaming

Interesting question..........here in Oz Chrysler Australia used the 53/54 Plymouth frame and basic body shell with 55/56 USA sourced Plymouth front & rear fenders to make the 1957 OZ only Chrysler Royal in both a 4dr Sedan and Ute and it existed up until 1962 as per the attached pics..........with....... the 313 Poly V8 as well as both the 23" and 25" six as optional engines depending on the gearbox specified...........so yes a 318 Poly V8 will fit, a better fit is the LA series small block in 273/318/340 or 360 size which are narrower across the head/exhaust manifold........the big block V8 oil pump/filter pointing straight ahead would be the main issue from what I know.............andyd  

1957ChryslerRoyal.png

1962ChryslerRoyal.png

1962ChryslerRoyalRear.jpg

The RHD versions sold 'down under' avoid the starter interference issues faced with USA models.   That is the biggest issue with v8 swaps.  Most offset the engine to the right to help.  That and a LH exhaust manifold from a mid 60s A body really help.   I agree with Andy, if a swap was in my future it would be an LA series, 273-360 with the mini starter..

That's what I'm working on- - a rebuilt 360 Chrysler motor with a mini starter, Wilcap adapter mated to a GM 200r automatic overdrive transmission. Not enough clearance for the stock steering, so going with Cavalier-style R&P. The difference with Pauls is that mine is going into a '52 Suburban, which I believe is narrower that the '53-'54 Plymouths.

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1480.jpeg

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1573.jpeg

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

I'd forgotten about the starter motor issue for LHD, thanks Ken...........that Wilcap adaptor looks to be a quality piece Bob, same with the Butches mounts.........interesting setup.........andyd, 

19 hours ago, Andydodge said:

I'd forgotten about the starter motor issue for LHD, thanks Ken...........that Wilcap adaptor looks to be a quality piece Bob, same with the Butches mounts.........interesting setup.........andyd, 

It's one of those things where I spent some time doing research and this seemed the best setup. There is a significant amount of fabrication needed, but I think in the end it will be an enjoyable ride.

Very interesting how an earlier ('53-'54) Plymouth body was used with '55-56' fenders. So if the 273/318/340 or 360 V8 would fit into Paul's car, how about a 277 Poly (poly-hemi head) from a '56 Plymouth? I pulled one out of a parts car that I bought last year, and that motor will make 195 hp, I believe. Over the years, the  poly got a reputation as "a boat anchor", which I believe is totally undeserved. It is basically the successor to the original double-rocker 331/394 hemis, and seems to be a great engine.

IMG_0554.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpeg

They are wider.........I should measure mine..........lol..........this is an old pic, tho it hasn't shrunk..........andyd

P1000417.JPG

They are wider.........I should measure mine..........lol..........this is an old pic, tho it hasn't shrunk..........andyd

P1000417.JPG

Andy- did you need to cut the firewall to get it to fit?

I'd say an LA motor is probably the best bet for an easy swap. For the size of the motor and power potential, available parts and ease to work on, it would be the easy way to go. Most of them had a 904 behind them which is more than adequate for a street cruiser.  I would also think a B motor might be an easy swap. Front mounted distributer and narrower than the RB. 

On 1/17/2022 at 2:10 PM, allbizz49 said:

I'd say an LA motor is probably the best bet for an easy swap. For the size of the motor and power potential, available parts and ease to work on, it would be the easy way to go. Most of them had a 904 behind them which is more than adequate for a street cruiser.  I would also think a B motor might be an easy swap. Front mounted distributer and narrower than the RB. 

The overall width of either B or RB, measured at the outside of the exhaust manifolds, is actually wider than a 392 Hemi at its extreme width measured at the edge of the valve covers...but yes, the LA series is usually an easy swap. The A series, like Andy's, is a close second as are the poly head Hemi engines.

7 hours ago, NoGoFargo said:

For what it’s worth an LA engine can use the newer “mini starter” that came factory on the magnum engines from 94 to 01. 

I have one of those on my 64 belvedere with poly 318. Works great.

• Like 1

Sniper is rite. 
Mini starters were put into use when dodge started using TBI. 
I use the Magnum mini starters because I have LA engines and Magnum engines so only one part number to remember and easier to find at the wreckers if needed.