Old Carbs

Kilgore47

I have been rebuilding carburetors most of my life.  Started when I was about 12 (68 now).  Dad told me I could have the old lawn mower and I was determined to make it run again.  Got it to run. 

So I'm the carb guy in our group of car people.  The latest one to show up is a 1405 Edelbrock 600cfm four bbl.  This has been one of the easiest I've have worked on in a while.  It was fairly clean inside.  It is on a 1964 Impala SS.  The carb I worked on before the Edelbrock was off a 1969 Cutlass.  A Rochester 2bbl.  That thing looked like it had lived in a swamp for a couple of years.  It was in the trunk when he got the car and the trunk leaked so it sat in water for a while.  Took three days but I got that Rochester cleaned up and working.

I use an old cookie sheet so parts don't roll away.  A picture of the Edelbrock after cleaning and a picture of the Rochester before and after cleaning are attached.  Just can't resist trying to save old car parts.

Edelbrock 600CFM.jpg

Rochester 2bbl (2).jpg

Rochester.jpg

• Like 5

I like carbs too. What i was raised on. First one was Dave’s 67 dart. Think it was a 170 slant 6. We rebuilt it and it ran. 
i have a edelbrock 1406. Same as the avs i think. Parts interchange. I picked up a carb from late 60’s and carb is similar to the 1406, makes jetting easier. 

• Like 1