'53 B-4TA-190 Fire Engine

E37Bruco

1-3/4" is the correct OE master cylinder bore diameter.

Once you pull the piston out and measure deeper...it will measure 1-3/4".

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

12 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

1-3/4" is the correct OE master cylinder bore diameter.

Once you pull the piston out and measure deeper...it will measure 1-3/4".

Yup! 1-3/4" bore. Seems standard for more older International Trucks. Tho I'm still struggling to locate a rebuild kit.

20220207_114657.jpg

Edited by E37Bruco
  • Like 1

You probably already know but, I just saw Napa UP 217 also mentioned 1-3/4” bore (not a clue if it would work or not)

5404406F-FA41-4269-A866-A293F46CA5F8.png.8d13fdd83fa422e528a1af22f076d02c.png

If not, I’ve had luck with my local fleet pride on my smaller 2ton 

for re lining the shoes.... maybe they would have a source for a kit?

https://branches.fleetpride.com/pa/

Btw, still waiting on that video of it running ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, E37Bruco said:

Yup! 1-3/4" bore. Seems standard for more older International Trucks. Tho I'm still struggling to locate a rebuild kit.

20220207_114657.jpg

I had 2 master cylinders that were pitted like that...had them sleeved and rebuilt by White Post 20+ yrs ago...haven't leaked since :cool:

I highly recommend White Post. I have no connection to them but have had master and wheel cylinders done on three cars. Just a happy customer. Never a leak of other problem since. 

That fire engine will likely do a lot of sitting which is never good for brake systems. White Post sleeves with brass and give a lifetime guarantee. 

$400 does seem high. I never paid anywhere near that for a sleeved master cylinder from White Post. If parts are ok, they are re-used. Maybe you got a price for a cylinder with all new parts? Worth a phone call. 

Edited by RobertKB

So here is what I found in a 1994 booster catalog I used to use back in the late 90's.

I 'm sure that Hydrovac unit is a replacement of the original "Midland" Dual 9-1/2"  Diaphram unit.

Which is listed as standard equipment on the 3-4 ton Dodge hydraulic brakes.

Doesn't matter though as you have the Hydrovac unit and it will most likely have to be rebuilt.

Shown is that Hydrovac in a "Prior" rebuilders catalog book...1994.

The other pic is the booster used originally in the 3 and 4 ton trucks..not available anywhere...pic out of the B-4 series shop manual.

Brent has had success with his rebuilder...he might be of help on a good rebuilder.

Maybe not enough help but some...

20220214_181721_compress61.jpg

20220214_182408_compress51.jpg

• Like 1

i am blown away it has been 7yrs since i looked into having my little single diaphragm booster rebuilt.

at the time i had asked Dewey Booster, Midwest booster, Brake Systems inc,  all at the time said no rebuild kits available for mine but, at the time Brake Parts STOP in Fort Wayne IN said yes. (260-426-331)  https://brakematerialsandparts.com/

BTW, still waiting for the video of it running 

Edited by Brent B3B
forgot to give E37Bruco a hard time about getting it running
  • Haha 1

So the booster on this one, the diaphragm canistor is roughly 10"x10"

Also, just did a compression test. 130psi averaged on all cylinders. Blew my hat off standing over the engine. And shot a bunch of squirrel debris out the tail pipes haha. Oh and the oil canister o ring was shot when I checked that, oil pressure is good bc that sprayed out haha

Edited by E37Bruco
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So the Fire Company agreed to take ownership of the vehicle again. I am currently awaiting title transfer and the means to buy parts. I have a $6500 budget for year 1. 

In other news, what are you using or where are you guys getting replacement master cylinder cover gaskets? lol 

• Like 1

Well today sucks lol shattered these plastic brackets for the blower motor in my Truck Master 65. The wires need replaced going into the motor. I've done some searching the forums here and most are for 12v alternatives. Thoughts?

20220321_194920.jpg

You are working on the least important motor!

• Haha 3

On 1/30/2022 at 9:55 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

I have run many cars and trucks including these big truck twin carb engines by gravity fuel feed.

Lol, I’ve seen you do it like this as well

09323147-B978-4D70-9430-B372F148C514.jpeg.f7c3e452f428310688ba087d09532c79.jpeg

If I remember correctly, We had a small fuel leak and a little smoke but, it sure was fun ?

• Haha 2

Oh yeah...the old "Ballard Oil" truck...for 15 years it was on top of two 40' foot containers down in a Buckley wrecking yard.. Bought it for $250.00 + $100.00 for delivery. A 1951 4 tonner with air and a 377.

It always fires right up after sitting for six months and runs and drives ( got to prime the carbs of course).

It's got patina...think that's what some call it.

Last summer the left rear outer 10.00X 20 exploded? in the 108 degree? temperatures...scared the hell out of me....shook all the shop doors..sounded like two M80's! ....Plus the smell of rubber  inner tube gas for 20 minutes.

Can hardly wait to drive it around the property this summer...oh  plus "Old Blue" too...a 2-3/4 tonner...had that running last summer too.

And of course "Big Red"...and the 306ci. bus!

Oh the love of the big Dodge trucks!

Big Red 53 Dodge 4 ton.JPG

20210203_172727_compress93.jpg

Bus B3R Side View.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have not and never will...like my trucks with factory parts.