'53 B-4TA-190 Fire Engine

E37Bruco

Yeah those big Dodge's have some beefy parts on them.

The rear axle spindle sockets are avaiable at NAPA's etc. that deal with shops doing more of the heavy service work.

My Dodge has a air brake R300 Timken axle with 7" wide block shoes.

As I recall it used the six point 4" socket shown.

I have another Q300 and I think it used the other 3-3/4" socket shown...not positive though.

You need to use those sockets for sure....you don't want the drum and axle coming out!

c1_20220922_220720_     18368c1594a_3.jpeg

c1_20220922_220953_     18368c157b9_2.jpeg

10 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Yeah those big Dodge's have some beefy parts on them.

The rear axle spindle sockets are avaiable at NAPA's etc. that deal with shops doing more of the heavy service work.

My Dodge has a air brake R300 Timken axle with 7" wide block shoes.

As I recall it used the six point 4" socket shown.

I have another Q300 and I think it used the other 3-3/4" socket shown...not positive though.

You need to use those sockets for sure....you don't want the drum and axle coming out!

c1_20220922_220720_     18368c1594a_3.jpeg

c1_20220922_220953_     18368c157b9_2.jpeg

Next week I'll measure the 6 point nut with a caliper to get the size. It looks 4". The regional fire apparatus mechanic may have these actually. 

Still trying to track down these "lever pressure retainers". I'm gonna stop in a Fleetpride here and ask. Otherwise I wonder if the axle stamped code will help more than the dodge book. Calling White Post is my plan C haha. 

• Like 1

last week all I found was a cast 3-1/2" shoe I pulled off a hydraulic H300 axle.

I looked for the other shor retainer spring..gave up beacause of I at that point really had to do some digging.

Give me a week I'll look some more...

These heavy parts are in a building thats packed tight.

There will be no relined  shoes to purchase.

You will have to have the shoes relined...no big problem there.

I mentioned my 3-1/2" shoes just because the short spring and retainers used to hold the shoes in place might work for you ....that if I can find the box or ben I put them in.

Also in regards to the outer oil seal, the ones I ordered NOS were old leather style. Local truck shop suggested if I get a good oil seal for the inner to just remove the outer and run the hubs lubricated off the axle oil like a newer vehicle.

You can do that...though the inner seal spindle surface needs to be in perfect condition...no roughness or pitting.

And as mentioned a good inner seal...commercial type grade the heavy hauler trucks use.

No China seals.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

Spindle looks great!!! Inner seal is stamped National 6635S, which is a valid part number for an oil seal!!

I'm just gonna repack the hubs as they were since I got all the seals. Still hung up on these brake clips. I emailed white Post today. 

20221006_130835.jpg

Edited by E37Bruco

• 3 weeks later...

Looked and looked....

All I can find is this wheel cylinder Cover.

OAL is 4-1/4".

Bolt center to center is 2-1/8".

Hole is 1-3/4"

Width is 2-1/2"

PM if more info wanted..

20221029_122550_vDlUhL5r2Y.jpeg

20221029_123850_rXRBgwoV66.jpeg

20221029_122554_W4gv4gYw8n.jpeg

20221029_122605_imgV5WYb7I.jpeg

That looks like the original one I still have. I actually just got all of the brake components back on and don't feel like taking off those stupid strap clips that go pin to pin off again 

That floating shoe pad in the background looks like it has a smaller center slot than mine does.

Edited by E37Bruco

What did you do to replace that broken shoe retainer clip?

Good you got it all back together...

Parts on these large trucks are really tough to find.

But once it's all fixed right they will run and run trouble free.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spell check

• 3 weeks later...

Lingle that seems to be the same as the leaf spring company by me. Waiting to hear back from them.

Dodgeb4ya by any chance do you have a photo of how your brake shoes are held in with a spring and retaining disk? I'm curious if I'm able to find that set up easier using off the shelf springs and disks. Did the clip come first or did the spring come first? Just trying to figure out which years used which. I find it odd that my Dec 1952 parts manual shows the spring and disc.

Edited by E37Bruco

I will have to take the other drum off the hydraulic axle...but it is difficult to access and currently cold snowy weather here...I will look and do it.

It's in very tight quarters.

11 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I will have to take the other drum off the hydraulic axle...but it is difficult to access and currently cold snowy weather here...I will look and do it.

It's in very tight quarters.

Don't go out of your way to do that this winter! I was just seeing if you had any photos already of it. I'm mostly curious how a coil spring stays in that slot. 

3 hours ago, E37Bruco said:

I really don't understand how this doesn't pop out while driving... Just a coil spring and a cap?

Screenshot_20221130_094513.jpg

As long as the spring is under comperssion would stay.  Not knowing the system this is really, it's what I'd assume.