Full Flow Oil Filter Part Number and Applications

Matt Wilson

Does anyone have a p/n for the full flow oil filter housing that was used on the early 50s Chryslers, and a more complete list of vehicles it was used on?  Was it used on any trucks? 

I'm talking about the type with two mounting bolts (not four), which mounts to the diamond-shaped pad on the left side of the block.  See images of one example owned by the late Don Coatney.

ofp.jpg

9.jpg

1111111.jpg

I just found one on eBay for my 265 project!

So they are around.

I found filters made by Wix p/n 51062 at Rockauto.com for a reasonable price.

This filter is a 25 micron unit like most full flow filters.

By-Pass filters are typically 10 microns. (Wix p/n P73 also available at rockauto for a Plymouth)

I know of no reason why you could not use both and I intend to do so.

One last thing, the O-rings which come with the filter are the flat type not the round O-ring that the Chrysler canister uses. So you might have to hunt for those.

16 minutes ago, Loren said:

I just found one on eBay for my 265 project!

So they are around.

I found filters made by Wix p/n 51062 at Rockauto.com for a reasonable price.

This filter is a 25 micron unit like most full flow filters.

By-Pass filters are typically 10 microns. (Wix p/n P73 also available at rockauto for a Plymouth)

I know of no reason why you could not use both and I intend to do so.

One last thing, the O-rings which come with the filter are the flat type not the round O-ring that the Chrysler canister uses. So you might have to hunt for those.

Yep, my 265 is what I'm trying to fit with this filter too.  Thanks for the filter element number and other info. 

Still looking for the housing part number.

All six cylinder, straight eight and Hemi cars from 1949 -56 use the same filter element....say Old# Fram CH192PL

40 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

All six cylinder, straight eight and Hemi cars from 1949 -56 use the same filter element....say Old# Fram CH192PL

Thanks.  Do you have the part number for the housing itself (that the element fits into)?  The housing was different between the flathead six and the V-8 (2-bolt mounting flange on the six and 4-bolt flange on the V-8)?

Yeah the 1949-50 Chrysler aluminum 8 housing is four bolt and uses a vertical mounting surface where as the 51-56 Hemi aluminum housing also uses four bolt mount surface but is at about a 30 degree mounting angle.

So three aluminum housings using the same full flow filter element.

Okay so the six cylinder Chrysler two bolt mount aluminum housing part # is..NA

The only way I can find the filter housing is as a package kit# 1311122

1949-54 Chrysler six...complete filter assembly.

This according to several MoPar parts books.

• Like 1

Okay

From the parts book you will find it with code 10-26-6 which tells you where to look.

Once there the part number is 1324-999

I also have photos of the base which has casting numbers.

• Like 1

My Master MoPar books show the part# 1324999 as..

10-26-6 Filter

Replaceable Cartridge Type

DeSoto Eight 52-53 (3)

Chrysler Eight 51-53 (3)

It is really hard to show parts book pages..lower pic and bottom description row shows listing for part# 1324999

20220111_211405_compress37.jpg

20220111_211457_compress89.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

11 hours ago, Loren said:

Okay

From the parts book you will find it with code 10-26-6 which tells you where to look.

Once there the part number is 1324-999

I also have photos of the base which has casting numbers.

Hmmm...ok, it sounds like, based on Dodgeb4ya's post, that this p/n might not have been used on the six cylinder, but it might still be useable, if it bolts up to the flathead six block.

Do you mind looking at your casting number(s) and posting them, or maybe posting the pics showing the casting numbers?

Edited by Matt Wilson

11 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

My Master MoPar books show the part# 1324999 as..

10-26-6 Filter

Replaceable Cartridge Type

DeSoto Eight 52-53 (3)

Chrysler Eight 51-53 (3)

It is really hard to show parts book pages..lower pic and bottom description row shows listing for part# 1324999

20220111_211405_compress37.jpg

20220111_211457_compress89.jpg

Thanks so much for the info!

The MoPar supercedence book shows this from the #on your housing...

20220112_101645_compress98.jpg

• Thanks 1

it might well bolt up to the truck block, but it might not fit if you retain the original starter.  i tried to use that same filter on my 251, and it fit perfectly....until i needed to install the starter, and discovered that the starter is too long to accomodate the full-flow filter attached directly to the 251 block.  maybe it will work better for you?

I had that aluminum factory filter on my 265 I put in my 52 pu...

I did have to pull the oil filter to R&R the starter once...5 minutes extra time to pull the oil filter...two bolts...two O-rings.

Way Way Way easier than removing a oil filtern housing with oil lines.

When I got my 47 WD21, it had a 49 Chrysler engine with that filter and a car MCL6101 starter. I also had to remove the filter to put a foot operated MAW4044 starter. I have a MCH6106 starter that is the same length as the MCL6101. The MC starters are 3/4” shorter than the MAW. My point is that there are different length foot operated starters. I think B series trucks are shorter than the earlier W series. I never made the change because I wasn’t sure of the filter element replacement from what was in the old housing. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I had that aluminum factory filter on my 265 I put in my 52 pu...

I did have to pull the oil filter to R&R the starter once...5 minutes extra time to pull the oil filter...two bolts...two O-rings.

Way Way Way easier than removing a oil filtern housing with oil lines.

the starter in my F is too long, and there is no way i can mount that filter with it in place.  i've tried.  the nose sits right at the center of the "diamond".

Well, that's a good point you guys are raising.  Never thought about that starter interference.  The engine is going into a '49 Power Wagon with the original pedal starter.  I guess I'll find out at some point.  I have a full-flow filter housing on its way (hope it's the right one - it looks right based on photos from the seller).  It'll be some time before I have the engine assembled and mounted to the bellhousing, so I'll find out then.  Although maybe I can take some measurements of starter length, filter size/placement before then and see if it looks promising.

Here's a pic of a 265 with a spin on filter mount ( minus the filter) showing how close the starter is...

265 Spin On Oil Filter Adapter Tube.JPG

Well, I bolted the filter housing to the engine, as it sits on the stand, and then held the starter up next to the engine, roughly where it would be if it was installed....and sadly, it clearly interferes with the filter....bummer. 

It's hard to say exactly how much shorter the starter needs to be, but I'm confident it's somewhere between 5/8" and 1-5/8", depending on whether the starter sits high enough for the nub protruding from the front of the starter to interfere or not.  It's very close and hard to tell without bolting the engine and the starter to the bellhousing, which won't happen anytime soon.

The starter is a foot pedal starter (as a reminder, the vehicle is a '49 Power Wagon), and it's part of the truck's character, so I don't want to lose that aspect.  I wonder if there's a foot-operated starter that is shorter, perhaps from a different model, which could be substituted without (much) modification.

If I can't make the full-flow filter work, it's not a huge deal, but I was really looking forward to having it on the engine, like icing on the cake.  I can always install a remote spin-on full-flow filter, but having this cool factory part sure would be nice.