DYNA-FLYTE DUAL POINT CONVERSION ASSEMBLY HELP

FarmerJon
Go to solution Solved by Jerry Roberts,

Picked up a NOS Dyna-Flyte 406-D conversion plate for my Plymouth, as well as the correct autolite point set, and a autolite condenser for the original distributor, a Autolite AIT-4101 from 1953, that I am almost done rebuilding.

Conversion plate did not include instructions. Anyone have something similar that shows what the little plate and hardware is for? Points sit the same as in a Mopar V8 dual point distributor, I don't think the condenser will fit inside the cap.

Grease in the ball bearing was rock hard, and I have a little more work to do to get it clean out the rest of the way, but what should I use to relube it? Not much room to repack any sort of grease back in. May get some in from the back side, but I doubt it. Will a few drops of motor oil do it? Something thicker? Lighter?

Any random history or info about the Dyna-Flyte brand is welcome too.

• Solution

The dual point conversion that I saw pictures of had the condenser mounted on the outside of the distributor . The late Don Coatney converted his distributor to dual points and you might be able to find his photos . He did have lots and lots of posts though . 

• Thanks 1

If you can get a tube of lubriplate that is an old product that will give good results.  Clean out al of the old grease and work in the new grease.

I have done this on numerous breaker plate assemblies.  Get a second BP and have as a spare in your tool box in the old car or truck as a spare.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I have the OEM single point plate, good idea for me to refurbish it to keep in the car. It would be a cheap, easy fix if broken down on a trip.

The unit I am working on, however, I don't think it can press apart. It is an aftermarket ballbearing plate, and seems like it would be damaged by forcing it apart.

Don saves the day! Picture of his instructions!

Seems I may be missing a few small pieces.

Edited by FarmerJon