1951 B3B 3 on the tree to floor shift conversion

Mseacow

59 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Just because it’s a 1/2 ton doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll have a 3 speed. 4 speeds were also available in all light trucks. 

Very correct. Dad's 40 Plymouth was a 4spd and it's now swapped into the 46 yard truck at the cabin 

I ran into similar issues when looking at upgrading to a 5 speed transmissions. I noted that the 48 5 speed housing was also drilled for the older style top covers. Winter project will be rebuilding the water logged 39 top  cover and putting on a 48 trans case. I’m not sure about the 4 speeds, but would bet they are. I have a ‘48 or 49”  chassis here with a 4speed hooked to a 25” motor, maybe I’ll take a peek and see what’s there.  My biggest issue is the location of my crossmember as the 5 speed is longer,  that may be something for you to check if considering the 4 speed which would be my choice.

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton