1954 Chrysler Windsor deluxe 3 speed manual transmission can shift

Richard Johnson

Because the MDG and second gear are always engaged to the cluster gear, they both will always turn, and they do turn freely together.

at that point does the mainshaft rotate?

Yes, both the input and output spin freely 

But, when the low (1st/revare you sure the 2/3rd clutch sleeve is in neutral?) gear slides in next to second, it locks up both input and output shafts. Same when low gear goes into reverse; because it connects to the cluster gear, they all try to spin together…

are you sure the 2/3rd clutch sleeve is in neutral?

Yes, in neutral, which means it’s not slid forward or back, it’s centered on its sleeve…

54 minutes ago, Richard Johnson said:

Because the MDG and second gear are always engaged to the cluster gear, they both will always turn, and they do turn freely together.

at that point does the mainshaft rotate?

Yes, both the input and output spin freely   If they turn freely,  and seperately  I'm out of ideas.   If not, could one of the needle bearings on the mainshaft/MDG juncture be out of place and trapped between the two? 

But, when the low (1st/revare you sure the 2/3rd clutch sleeve is in neutral?) gear slides in next to second, it locks up both input and output shafts. Same when low gear goes into reverse; because it connects to the cluster gear, they all try to spin together…

are you sure the 2/3rd clutch sleeve is in neutral?

Yes, in neutral, which means it’s not slid forward or back, it’s centered on its sleeve…

Two gears engaged at once will lock up the trans and you will not be able to turn anything.

Can you put up a video of what you are seeing?

Looking at the pics you posted, you have one synchro engaging a gear.  With ALL synchros in neutral, in other words not engaging any of the brass rings, you are in neutral.  It is normal for friction to still turn the output shaft.  You have to hold the output flange and turn the input to see if it's in neutral.  If it is you will be able to stop the output by hand when turning the input by hand.  If you cannot stop the output you still have it in gear.

Edited by Sniper

• 2 weeks later...

For when your wife is better and you get back to your hobby...

One thing I cannot tell from the photo...are you using the stamped steel clutch gear plates or the solid steel ones?

For some reason MOPAR switched to the solid steel plates and in the books told the service folks to swap out the stamped steel ones if they had it apart.

I put in new solid steel ones on my transmissions.

James

Maybe this video will help you. I was learning all about these 3 speeds a few years ago. I put this video together. Same basic principles as your 54 Chrysler transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One other idea...take a look at this...

https://www.web.imperialclub.info/Repair/Lit/Master/018/Page16.htm

When I got my trans from one of the usual suspects, this interlock plunger was nearly stuck in place. There is a cup seal that you have to get out to get this little plunger out. Even then as it is a blind hole it is not easy if it is stuck or mucked up. This thing is critical to the smooth shifting. It needs to be very clean in that bore and the plunger needs to be nick free. The only way I could get it out was buy using a 90 degree screwdriver and forcing it back and forth with penetrating fluid until I got enough crap out so that if I tapped the housing on the bench five or six times it would come out. I then scrubbed the bore with a new wire brush.

This is on of those little detail items that make a very good rebuilt from a half-baked one.

It also can apparently cause the trans to lock it it is missing or not moving properly.

James