Hemmings Motor News

Booger

basically since the internet and more to the fact, e-bay.....Hemmings has gone the way of the do-do....their's and that of Hagerty, reports on x models are also half truth articles.....I have their insurance, I block their news letters as it is usually drivel...I do no surveys for anyone...yeah...maybe different views than that of many here...but my time is just that, my time.

• Like 2

I gave up on Hemmings as a source years ago. Too much info available on the internet. I do subscribe to their Classic Car magazine, in fact it is the only car related magazine for which I have a subscription. I find the articles to be very good and most are about cars owned by mere mortals like ourselves.

• Like 1

I have not really looked at any Hemmings Motor New in at least 10-15 Years.  Last May when upto their office in Bennington to go thrught their museum and the webpage did not tellyou that the office and museum was closed.  This was ok with me. We were just on a vacation and were inthe area.

Hemmings really needs to be an online magazine and get out of the paper world or they will also slowly go out of business.  Need to change with the times. Easier to look on Ebay and also internet searches are faster.  With Ebay at least you get to see the item prior to buying it, but you can not haggle like you can at a flea market, you pay the asking price or just let it go to someone else.

Also much easier for the sellers since they do not have to slep to a swap meet listen to people trying to lower the price. The items are listed worldwide rain, snow, sleet and or sunny weather and no travel time and or hotel and swap meet expenses.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I have taken Hemmings Classic Car Magazine for about 15 years. Their MOPAR Front covers were as follows:

1. Sept. 2011 #84 (Imperial Crowns - Rare 60'S Chrysler's YOU MUST OWN).

2. Sept. 2015 #132 ( Mrs. Chrysler's Chrysler -1 off 1937 Imperial Limo).

3. Feb. 2022 #209 (The Original Driving Machine Chrylser 300).

I believe along the way in 2017 they showed a DeSoto on the Cover. That's it MOPAR Guys.

Lets face it Richard Lentinello (Editor in Chief from about 1998 - 2019) and Terry McGean (New Editor in Chief) are pretty much GM Guys.

I think my List above proves that for those that like to argue. Classic Car Magazine is pretty much a Bow Tie affair with Cadillacs and Fords and now foreign Cars

sprinkled throughout. But Oh well they really are a 1 Trick Pony. Problem is no other Magazine covers the Classics as well.

I think On-Line Information will dominate going forward (younger people) respond to this method, and Magazines are going the wayside.

Hagerty went onto the stock Market recently and Beefed up their Magazine, If you Love Foreign Sports Cars. It has gotten Better though with Jay Leno and Wayne Carrini pages.

Tom

1 hour ago, Tom Skinner said:

Problem is no other Magazine covers the Classics as well.

Tom

I had a subscription for some years, then stopped because I knew I would never be able to throw them out or give them away, and the stack was getting bigger.  But I still get the email articles, and sometimes comment.  But as to covering the "Classics". it has gotten to the point that I wonder how they define the word.  Articles which push electric conversions, or talk about vehicles WAY outside my year span of interest (pretty much ends for me at least after 1962).

I subscribed to Hemmings MN for several years when it was still the best publication for the Average Joe to find old car stuff.  Kinda let them pile up like old National Geographics for a while.  But, I haven't subscribed for probably 15 years now because of this handy-dandy internet thing, and that they seemed to become somewhat elitist, as noted.  Picked one up in an airport news stand to pass a few hours between flights a few years ago, and was rather disappointed.  When we first got our D24, I located NOS front fenders for our car in Hemmings, (no internet at the time), but all it had for our era MoPars this last time I looked, was stuff we already know about through this Forum.  I picked up their classic car magazine a few times, and rather like that, though. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert
typo

I used to get the print versions of Hemmings Motor News and Classic Cars, but about five years ago I realized I didn't always read them as carefully as I might, and they were piling up next to my chair.  I didn't want to give up on them entirely, so I subscribed to their digital editions. At the time it was $25 for their 4 publications now they have dropped the sports car mag so I get 3 mags digitally. It works out well, I browse what I feel like without feeling like I am wasting lots of money if I don't get to read them and there is nothing to throw out.

• Like 1