Can brake line be used for the fuel line also?

MarcDeSoto

Well, the lines can be used interchangeably, but personally I'd not use that large brake line.  My 56 is 1/4 now, but will be 3/16 when the conversions are all done.  Firewall mounted dual master, and clutch master, original rear and new disk front.

Flow capacity on brake hydraulics is unimportant and 3/16 is the easiest to flare, bend and route.

Marc.........I also agree with Ken......5/16th is a large brake line, AFAIK the stock lines were 1/4", at least they were here in Oz, tho' with the 4wheel disc setup I have used since the mid 70's I have 3/16th as per the disc brake OEM used.........5/16 seems too big..........andyd 

Thanks Sam.  I just want to clear something up.  I am using 3/16" brake line for my Brakes.  I am asking about using 5/16" brake line for my new fuel line, which is 5/16" pipe.  I just don't want to invest in a flaring tool for a couple of flares.  

WONKING...

There are some difference in the flow when the pipe size increases. Steel is not particularly smooth like some other materials. One can get better laminar flow if increasing the diameter. But for the purposes of classic car use, the differences have little real world meaning.

I like using larger brake lines for brakes.  Why? The fluid has more volume in the system and as such will absorb more water between flushes every few years. With gas lines one benefits of larger lines in the engine bay is more time before it heats up in stalled traffic situations and hits the vapor point. Of course once it does get hot, it takes longer to cool off.

James

I'm going to use copper/nickel lines in the standard sizes, 5/16 for fuel, 3/16 for brakes.  From looking around I haven't seen anyone mention there is a certain grade line (or different standard) for fuel and one for brakes. Seems the same type lines are being used for both. Any lines for brakes would be under higher pressures, so it would be fine for our 3-5 psi systems.

Watching a lot of videos, I like watching DD speed shop, Dan uses the copper nickel for both fuel & gas all the time.

Recently I watched Matt on iron trap garage make lines for a dual carb setup on the vehicle. With a straight nicop line connected to the carb.

A helper held some pipe vertically on the manifold and Matt made easy perfect bends around the pipe .... same with 2nd carb, then some inverted bends where the T connected .... Really looked nice when finished and no special tools needed other then a flaring tool for the ends.

I also like the look of the copper on these old engines, they look period correct kinda sorta to me ... although am pretty sure OEM was steel.

• Like 1

Nickel copper works just fine (steel would as well).  Fuel pressures are very low compared to brake pressures. 

414D24E9-8293-4B30-9166-BD9B315034AA.jpeg

• Like 2