Bought an engine block and parts

Bryan

Reckon I spook easily.   Was going thru Facebook Marketplace and ran across an engine block and parts. Was cheap enough and I thought what the heck, I have 2 rusty rods and probably a bent one, a block with an oil pan full of antifreeze, plus 2 broken head bolts and 2 broke manifold studs on my block.  So I drove 1 1/2 hours to NC and froze my tail off to pick it up. Seems in pretty good shape just looking it over.   Owner says the cylinder bores are standard.

IMG_5852.JPG

IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5837.JPG

IMG_5850.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG

IMG_5843.JPG

• Like 1

Good for you.  I recommend that to anyone who has the room.  A couple years ago I bought a parts car, that was fairly complete for $500.  The engine, fluid coupler and trans are in working order and everything is there.  I've used parts off that car continuously.  Just a few days ago when I took apart my rear brakes, I discovered that the last time they were done, they didn't put that special washer between the backing plate and the brake shoe at the pivot pin on one side of the car (2 washers).  It has a chamfer on the inside dia. of it on one side to allow for the slight cam protrusion of that anchor pin, when it is tightened.  I have lots of flat washers and none of them even had the thickness of that washer let alone the chamfer.  It's the little things you just can't find out there, that's the payoff. 

Have fun with your new score. 

• Like 1

As long as you bought it right, I don't think you will regret having it. Looks like a IAT distributor, 7.1cr head, block, cam, full set of 230 rods, assorted pulleys, some covers, and a clutch assembly that is at least good for a core. 

Even if your current block is not cracked, 

your machine shop may find one block is preferred over the other. 

I always like to have spares, so I guess I am biased.

As I mentioned in my teardown post, checked the block out yesterday. No broken studs, no stripped threads, cylinders standard bore, and the best thing is I get a 53 Dodge block back in my 48 Dodge.  It had a 49 Plymouth block in it when the first owner cracked the block. Got a spare head and some rods.