Need oil pump gasket for 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

• MarcDeSoto changed the title to Need oil pump gasket for 48 DeSoto

On my older Plymouth that uses spur gears in the oil pump, the gasket thickness sets the clearance between the block and the gears. Too thick a gasket and I will experience low oil pressure. Too thin and I guess there could be some rubbing.

Way back when I needed a gasket and did not have one available so I put a straight edge across the oil pump and used a feeler gauge to figure out what my clearances were going to be. If I recall correctly, I found that a brown paper shopping bag had the correct thickness and was easy to cut to shape.

You have a newer engine than mine but I suspect some of this still holds true. In particular I would be leery of using a silicone instant gasket material as I don’t see how you can control the final thickness of the material after the pump is installed and bolted tight.

• Like 2

NO silicone sealer....just use heavy gasket paper and carefully make one exactly to match the pump mounting surface.

Gasket paper used for this gasket is .012"-.015"

20220104_175028_compress45.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tell a quality knowledgeable parts store to look up ...

Fel-Pro 3045

This is a sheet of 1/64" (.015") thick Felpro gasket paper...Felpro, Karropak and a few other companies make many different gasket materials and many thicknesses.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

It's a problem with parts stores getting counter help to find odscure parts at times.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Here is the gasket number for the oil pump cover and base gasket taken from my McCord gasket catalog 1937-54

The numbers on the left are the MoPar part number the numbers on the right is the McCord Gasket number

So the 46-54 number was the same gasket body gasket

Hope this get you in the right direction.  Again this is why i have collected the older cross reference catalogs.

Rich Hartung   Desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.ee67ebaee0f7ab1b0c037447c8123807.png

As mentioned Olsen's will have that gasket and any others if and when needed.

The 1948 DeSoto oil pump cover uses a square cut rubber O-ring...don't mess with it unless necessary...some what hard to find. No paper gasket used on the cover plate just that square cut O-Ring.

OK, today I went to O'reillys and asked for the Felpro 3045 kit.  It wasn't on the shelf, but the clerk found on in the back of the store.  I also bought those hole punches.  I would prime the pump by removing it and pouring some motor oil into it.  Then, turn the pinion gear before installing it again.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

As mentioned Olsen's will have that gasket and any others if and when needed.

The 1948 DeSoto oil pump cover uses a square cut rubber O-ring...don't mess with it unless necessary...some what hard to find. No paper gasket used on the cover plate just that square cut O-Ring.

I found the square cut "O" ring on ebay. jcapartscom, item #270800755048, 3/32" #143

• Like 1