1953 B4-GA has arrived

jsd245

So, I got her home! Truck is solid, rust here and there but not a total rust bucket. Frame is 100%. the story is it spent it’s entire life on a cranberry farm in Massachusetts . Odometer says around 26,000 miles. I guess I have to assume it’s 126,000 but I’m not so sure given how it was used. Maybe it’s only 26,000? Last transfer Station sticker on it was 2014 so it was probably on the road then. Guy I got it from bought it in 2016 but never moved forward with the project he had planned for it. He actually posted a couple times on here. 
It had a dump body on it, but I want to put a stake side flatbed on it so I didn’t take it. I kept all the dump mechanism, maybe will make it a dump flatbed. 

I actually got it fired up today- but it’s not running great and is blowing air and fuel out of the carb. Zero compression on two cylinders so my assumption is sticking Intake valves. Stay tuned! 

12AF8635-E14B-4103-B332-42A023C54A51.jpeg

046C65AD-2D93-4A3B-8179-D9D5F55A7FBD.jpeg

A5D6BB61-4B9A-44A3-8EE3-1BF7EF041DBA.jpeg

Edited by jsd245
  • Like 6

nice looking sheet metal on that one.  perfect for using as a driver, without worrying about dents and scratches from use.  nice sig-stat turn signals, too (mine are mounted on the top of the fender, rather than the extension).

the dump body on mine is a flatbed, and i have 4' sideboards i can add for a big box (8'x12'x4').

Edited by wallytoo

Sweet! I like it a lot! ?how is the interior?
If it was mine since there isn’t a bed, I’d cover the booster and rear axle if it’s gonna be outside….Until you get a bed. Those factory boosters rebuild parts can take some searching to find. 

3 hours ago, wallytoo said:

also, if you decide to move on from those wheels, PM me, as i'd be interested in buying them.

I am with you Wally…. If I was closer I’d thumb wrestle you for them ??

The inside is rough- the truck will need some work to be serviceable.  It is solid enough for a start. Plan is to restore this to an extent with my son- hopefully teaching him something about cars and engines. I’ve got all the parts that are stripped off- but a few things are going to be problematic, like the parking light grill inserts. Ive got them but they are rusted away pretty badly and it looks like they will be tough to replace. Interesting on this- the booster is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. It’s not the correct one that mounts under the bed. Not sure why, but the PO had it rebuilt. He essentially replaced every brake component lines, everything except,  for the master cylinder, he said he still had soft brakes. He had a master cylinder rebuild kit for it, so I need to do that and hopefully the brakes will be OK. But first I need those valves unstuck. I’m actually surprised how good it runs with two cylinders with zero compression.

That's a great find!  I'd just about bet on the mileage being original; here in the western states it was common for trucks to show very low mileage because they spent their lives chugging around wheat fields in low gear. They may not have had many miles on them, but probably had a bazillion hours on the engines.

• Like 1

What’s left of the driver side headliner has a bunch of hash marks on it, the story I was told, was that each time the farmer went to get sand for the cranberry bog at the local gravel bank he would put a mark up there. There are probably 150 marks. 

On my B3, (Jimbob) I lucked out and pulled the tappet covers, rotated the motor and found the stuck valve…. I was able to work it back and forth through the spark plug hole without pulling the head. 
My other trucks, Not so much…..

what is the wheel base on it? The photos without a bed, make it look like a 128” to me ( mine are all 152”) either way.
What a great father/ son project! Make the most of it dad! ?

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jsd245 said:

I’m actually surprised how good it runs with two cylinders with zero compression.

the engines, as simple as they are, are pretty tough.  the 237 that came in my truck would idle beautifully for hours and hours, and also burn oil as the gas pedal was floored.  when i finally took the engine out to rebuild it, all but one of the rings came out in pieces (some were in 10 to 20 pieces), and two of the pistons were in two or three pieces.  for all that, it ran smooth, but kept popping head gaskets.

Looks like a great find! Don’t get in a hurry on those valves. Recommend soaking some MM oil in the cylinders for a while with some air in the spark plug holes to push it around the rings(also will help determine which valves are stuck). Mine ran as well on 4 cylinders and high compression reading on the best cylinder was 58 psi. After several months, I now have 90 psi on all cylinders and runs smooth. Still no power house though lol.  Enjoy your project!

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Nice truck!  I need to find 2 of those gas tanks for my current project!  They look perfect for what I envision.

I've thought a bit about that. I'm kind of leaning towards wanting to put an original under cab tank in- but I'm not sure if any of the aftermarket available one will fit. The parts book shows different part numbers for the bigger truck tanks than the 1\2 tons. Yet that saddle tank is pretty convenient and I think it looks kind of cool.  Its also a 30 gallon tank vs the roughly 19 I guess an original tank would be.  But I guess I'd need to figure out a sending unit. All the gauges work on this truck except the fuel gauge because its not hooked up to anything. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 47 dodge 1.5 ton said:

Looks like a great find! Don’t get in a hurry on those valves. Recommend soaking some MM oil in the cylinders for a while with some air in the spark plug holes to push it around the rings(also will help determine which valves are stuck). Mine ran as well on 4 cylinders and high compression reading on the best cylinder was 58 psi. After several months, I now have 90 psi on all cylinders and runs smooth. Still no power house though lol.  Enjoy your project!

Well I know which ones are stuck. cylinder 1 and two have zero compression. With air and fuel blowing out of the carb I have to assume its intake valves. Soaking in MMO right now. This shouldn't be that badly stuck. It was running as late as 2016. Its not like it sat around for 30 years in a  field. 

8 hours ago, jsd245 said:

I've thought a bit about that. I'm kind of leaning towards wanting to put an original under cab tank in- but I'm not sure if any of the aftermarket available one will fit. The parts book shows different part numbers for the bigger truck tanks than the 1\2 tons. Yet that saddle tank is pretty convenient and I think it looks kind of cool.  Its also a 30 gallon tank vs the roughly 19 I guess an original tank would be.  But I guess I'd need to figure out a sending unit. All the gauges work on this truck except the fuel gauge because its not hooked up to anything. 

2 hours ago, jsd245 said:

Valves are unstuck. It was actually#1 and #2 exhaust valves which was perplexing given I had air and fuel coming out of the carb. She runs really smooth. Surprising really. https://youtu.be/LBkvyj9z6tc

Can't see the video...says its private?

On 1/4/2022 at 8:07 PM, jsd245 said:

Interesting on this- the booster is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. It’s not the correct one that mounts under the bed. Not sure why, but the PO had it rebuilt. 

that is great the brake system has been gone through.
From the video, I recognize that booster ?

D4EE3E52-2E3B-4DCE-AFC6-8277EFD9B032.jpeg.5e35c0c5adcb12d2b6369d89582de7c3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Brent B3B said:

that is great the brake system has been gone through.
From the video, I recognize that booster ?

D4EE3E52-2E3B-4DCE-AFC6-8277EFD9B032.jpeg.5e35c0c5adcb12d2b6369d89582de7c3.jpeg

Yep looks the same! Apparently it’s been rebuilt. When I get a chance to rebuild the master I guess I’ll see. It’s got what is clearly fresh foam in the breather so hopefully rebuilt. Definitely not the one I see most often on these- I wonder if it was not stock and it was a dealer add on? What did the one in your picture come from?

It came off my B3GA…. I removed it and installed the one from my B4GA

414F5392-E863-4DFE-93CE-6711798087A6.jpeg.af7536a5ad4715d57dc931ae75240028.jpeg

after I reworked it.

I also switched the master cylinders… the B3GA is 1-1/4” with the B4GA was 1-1/2” (hint, hint, nudge ?)