My 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook

Ttumachy

I’ve lurked and read in the background for some time and y’all have been very helpful in the few questions I’ve asked.  Figured it was time enough to share a photo. Front end back together and for it on the ground. Found a generic fuel tank plug for the drain from autozone. Not perfect, but gets me going. We got it started and running the other day. Now it won’t crank. That’s all I need to get in out of the garage!

596104E4-517C-474B-BFE8-8E0D113F9D13.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Riding said:

Very cool. What disk brake system did you go with?

I went with Scarbird. Pretty good kit and wasn’t too bad to install. Uses Cadillac single piston calipers. We parked it years ago because the brakes failed on the way home. One back one was already plugged from a previous owner and the other back one wouldn’t bleed. Front had all sorts of issues as well.

Decided to upgrade the whole front end. Rebuilt the master cylinder and ran new front brake lines. Right now I’ve got the whole to the back plugged. Just going to get it driving for around the neighborhood then will tackle the back. Plan on leaving it stock, just rebuild. 

Now we cant get it to stay running! I can fill up the carburetor bowl with gas and it’ll run. The fuel pump doesn’t seem to be clogged. Ran it off of that with the input side in a can full of gas and it ran. Put some air from the fuel pump line back into the gas tank and confirmed it’s not clogged. But the system just won’t pull enough fuel to keep it running.   

Ttumachy.......nice to see a clean tidy front end, tho' I have a couple of questions.......the front brake hose as shown looks like it maybe a little stretched on hard lock if it frame mount is left where it is.........I know the pic shows the front end extended with no weight on the suspension but I'd be moving that frame mount an inch or two forward if possible.............and you mention that you intend to take the car for a drive in the neighbourhood without rear brakes hooked up...........I know that braking is mostly done by front brakes but even so I'd be a little cautious without rear brakes........

............tho I do understand the need to take the car out for its 1st run around the block........the attached pic shows me taking the 40 Dodge out for its first run around the block with the 318 Poly installed back in September 1973, thats a 19yr old me at the wheel, all bright eyed & bushy tailed......lol..........BTW.......Welcome Aboard from Oz......Andy Douglas   

img023 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

Ttumachy.......nice to see a clean tidy front end, tho' I have a couple of questions.......the front brake hose as shown looks like it maybe a little stretched on hard lock if it frame mount is left where it is.........I know the pic shows the front end extended with no weight on the suspension but I'd be moving that frame mount an inch or two forward if possible.............and you mention that you intend to take the car for a drive in the neighbourhood without rear brakes hooked up...........I know that braking is mostly done by front brakes but even so I'd be a little cautious without rear brakes........

............tho I do understand the need to take the car out for its 1st run around the block........the attached pic shows me taking the 40 Dodge out for its first run around the block with the 318 Poly installed back in September 1973, thats a 19yr old me at the wheel, all bright eyed & bushy tailed......lol..........BTW.......Welcome Aboard from Oz......Andy Douglas   

img023 (2).jpg

Thanks for the advise and pictures. I’ll give it a double check on full lock to lock to make sure. Not too hard to move at this point if I need to. Yes to running around with front brakes only. But neighborhood slow driving only. I need to check everything I’ve done so far and I really need the motivation of it being down on the ground. No intentions to got out cruising around town!

4 minutes ago, Booger said:

My guess is theres something floating around in that carb o a jet clogged. Time for a rebuild kit for carb and proper settings. Thats all worthless unless you put an line gas filter

I ran it with gas in a can through the carb. Just disconnected the short 6” rubber line that runs down to hook up to the metal lines running back to the tank. With gas in the metal can it was able to pull it up through the pump and into the carb and stay running. Would the longer line to the fuel tank still cause carb problems?

6 minutes ago, JerseyHarold said:

Good looking Plymouth.   I've got a '51 and '52 so I'm a little biased!

Have you tried running the engine with the gas cap removed?  It may have a clogged vent.

I have not tried running it with the gas cap off. Odd though a we were struggling to get it running. Then I put the oil/air filter back on (not sure of proper term for this on top of the carb). It started right up and ran for a couple minutes. Then died and wouldn’t start again. 

I have a Scarebird kit on my 52 Coronet. Did you pull the residual valve from the master cylinder? I added 2 inline residual valves to the system. 2lb to the front and 10lb to the rear. With the master cylinder under the floor this keeps air from getting into the system. 

1 hour ago, Doug&Deb said:

I have a Scarebird kit on my 52 Coronet. Did you pull the residual valve from the master cylinder? I added 2 inline residual valves to the system. 2lb to the front and 10lb to the rear. With the master cylinder under the floor this keeps air from getting into the system. 

I have not done that. To be honest, I’m not experienced enough to know where that would be needed though. Quick look from the overly reliable google (which must be true cause it’s the internet - please read sarcasm there!) shows something I’m thinking for you- on the back side of the master, between the hard brake lines and the master? Is this where you put yours? Help prevent back pressure? Any input would be very welcome!

I just rebuilt the master with stock set up so stock residual valve and plugged the rear for now. One line is capped at the wheel and the other won’t bleed some somethings wrong there anyway. 

Edited by Ttumachy

1 hour ago, JerseyHarold said:

Good looking Plymouth.   I've got a '51 and '52 so I'm a little biased!

Have you tried running the engine with the gas cap removed?  It may have a clogged vent.

Tried uncapping, no change. Also tried hooking up the other side of the fuel pump again and no start. Looking more and more like the fuel pump...

If the fuel line from the tank to the pump has a hole in it anywhere then the pump will not draw fuel, but rather suck air.  A very close inspection might be needed to find it.   Also, there is a ferrule that goes in the hard line plumbed to the tank outlet, if that ferrule is missing it will draw air.  I gather this ferrule is somewhat unique.

https://www.moparpro.com/fuel-tank-ferrules/c202

11 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

If you don’t remove the residual valve from the master cylinder the front brakes won’t release. The inline valves are plumbed in right behind the master. I used two short pre-made lines. The valve in the master is 10lb too much for discs. 

Interesting. I tested brakes and they did seem to stick a bit when turning the wheel by hand after release. Not horrible by any means, but more sticky than a new vehicle. That could be the issue then, thanks!

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

If the fuel line from the tank to the pump has a hole in it anywhere then the pump will not draw fuel, but rather suck air.  A very close inspection might be needed to find it.   Also, there is a ferrule that goes in the hard line plumbed to the tank outlet, if that ferrule is missing it will draw air.  I gather this ferrule is somewhat unique.

https://www.moparpro.com/fuel-tank-ferrules/c202

Thanks. I don’t think it is the ferrule - everything ran normal when we parked it and nothing has been replaced relative to the fuel

system. Air in the lines could be the likely culprit. I could use starting fluid around all the fittings to see if that does anything. Unless someone tells me a horrible idea!